Harry Middleton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(in this area the men are usually 5' nothing and bandy legged)
and they speak so highly of their crazy bike-obsessed English neighbour ;)
asterix-obelix-dogmatix-gesturing-toc-men-s-polycotton-t-shirt.jpg

wonderdog

Oh yes,
très élégant. Unlike the Frenchman in suspenders. (in this area the men are usually 5' nothing and bandy legged)
I trust you're the exception ... sure I recall a joke about a small priest in a small parish

woodbutcher

Veteran
and they speak so highly of their crazy bike-obsessed English neighbour ;)
View attachment 376974
Hmm, well I have noticed the occasional disbelieving shake of the head as well as the usual unflinching stare which is normal here.
My neighbour who is a great bloke threw up his arms in horror when he first saw me set off on a bike and said "the hills, the hills...they are too steep" or words to that effect:rolleyes:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How on earth do you manage so many projects all at the same time and the outcome is always terrific ?

It can be hard work , i normally only work on 1 at a time and soon as they are ride able i like to ride them to get an idea what they ride like and or what work is still required .

For example seeing as this one was bought as a non rolling frameset the first ride this will get is when all the work is done and then its ride and fine tuning as i cover the miles . Where as the Rudge project looked like it had not been ridden for 10+ years so once i got the tyres to stay inflated i had a couple of short rides to get a basic idea of work required and found the following , gears needed adjusting so all 3 were available , headset was almost seized due to being bone dry , rear brake sticky due to years worth of grease and grime on central pivot , bottom bracket spins freely and is quiet in action just cant undo cups and the brakes were lacking in stopping action.

I also use my local bike shop for some jobs as there charge rate is low its sometimes cheaper to let them do work than me ! Also whilst a bike is there it gives me more room to work as room is tight .

But i enjoy it so that helps

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I also enjoy rebuilding bikes and uprating them, the problem I have is then selling them on. :rolleyes:

Thats the hard bit , i try and limit myself to 4 or 5 keepers

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thats the hard bit , i try and limit myself to 4 or 5 keepers
Mr Biggs, your comments and those of raleighnut ring bells load and clear. I have 8 bikes in my workshop at the moment and apart from the mountain bike and the newish Italian they are all so called vintage. I think critical mass will shortly be arrived at and then l will have to sell one or two but l don't relish the prospect. I like being surrounded by all the different makes/models and periods. The one bike l will never sell is my Faggin, it is just a lovely ride. I did 50km this afternoon....just so smooth :smile:

Top Bottom