Harry Rowland the wheel builder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doubtless you've made you choice & got your wheels now, looking at the dates of posting this

if not, I'd certainly propose (& second) Gary Proud, over at Kendells in Castleford

He can't be far off the build quality of Harry Rowland, Gary also builds m/cycle wheels & so I'm told) wire-wheels for old British sports cars!!!
I've got a pair (on my now retired, Dyna-Tech 755Ti) that he rebuilt 20 years ago, & they're still going strong, with maybe 2 minor tweaks (after they settled down) & they're still true!

http://www.kendellcycles.co.uk/

In the 'Cycling Links (trade) section;
http://www.cyclingphotos.co.uk/cyclinglinks.html

Ian Cammish, first paragraph, after 1st set of pictures

http://www.iancammish.co.uk/#!front-wheels/cvpl

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My Harry Rowlands are doing great. I paid £280 & they're very light for the money. I doubt any off the shelf wheels around that price can anywhere close match the weight & build quality.

:smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Exce
My Harry Rowlands are doing great. I paid £280 & they're very light for the money. I doubt any off the shelf wheels around that price can anywhere close match the weight & build quality.

:smile:
Excellent!!! Can I ask what components did he use? As a guess I'd say Open Pro rims and DT Swiss spokes, I'm a big fun of him :smile:.

georgieboy84

Go handbuilt. HR is certainly one of the best and he will build you good wheels.

If you are short of cash and can pick up from Bournemouth I'm happy to build your wheels for free. I guess you could save as much as £100.
Hi mate, are you still building wheels? How much would you charge to swap my hubs out? I have pro 4 replacements just waiting on a boost adaptor for the front hub. I live in Tuckton. Thanks.
Mod Note:
Removed mobile number for privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

georgieboy84

Exce

Excellent!!! Can I ask what components did he use? As a guess I'd say Open Pro rims and DT Swiss spokes, I'm a big fun of him :smile:.
Ricardo, thanks for the PM cant reply for some reason. I have the 148 rear 28h hub but my front wheel is a 24h Hope don't make a boost 24h hub so I have purchased the standard hub and adaptor although I have been sent an adaptor for a pro2 hub ( currently awaiting a swap ) are you able to measure up without taking the wheels apart? I use the bike daily for transport and would be ideal to get the job done in a day ( preferably a Saturday if poss )
Thanks in advance

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi,

Can you tell me what its your current hub, rim model and number of spokes please? What is the new hub model?

You should be able to pm me without any problems.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Harry lives in Ramsgate now. I broke a spoke in a single speed Ambrosio wheel, took it to him, he looked at it and said "it's not one of mine"

He used to handbuild wheels for them until they got the machines in.

New spoke and true up, £5 and I left him the half pack of biscuits we didn't eat while chatting and boy does he love a natter.
Top bloke.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Handbuilts ... dare to be different!
I've just had a pair of handbuilts made by DCR, exactly to my spec and some words of wisdom from Mr Hunt. Also, if you have any issues you have a real person who made them to go back to. Just need to have them delivered!

(Archetype rims on a Schmidt Son28 Dynohub front with Velo Orange Grand Cru touring hub at the rear ... all in retro blingy silver! Audax, Winter and credit card touring for the use of)
By the way.... these are fab and still going very well indeed! No attention needed.

DB0B0909-C4E1-412F-A40E-740B994C3039.jpeg

Top Bottom