Has anybody got Di2 12 speed yet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems to be different reports on the availability of this. Some bikes seem available with it right now. Whilst other bikes (giant) are quoting next month - and to buy the groupset alone ....August seems the most likely date.

Just wondered if anyone is actually pedalling Di2 12 speed yet. And how the wireless and extra batteries are working out ?

TerryDi2

Shimano gave me one of their bikes home for about 6 weeks. Ask me anything :smile:.

The lever batteries should last about 1.5 - 2 years, but I took them out anyway... just to see how that worked. Easy enough, it's a 30 second job :smile:.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I took delivery of my 12 sp Di2 Basso yesterday but its a bit soon to tell anything meaningful other than it feels and looks a lot like 11 sp.
The app is a bit handier to use for small changes rather than hooking up to a laptop as it can connect wirelessly to the rear derailleur brain.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've heard it makes you more handsome

B7FAF695-739B-4F6C-9254-5A77AB6D7BCF.jpeg

slow scot

Veteran

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Shimano gave me one of their bikes home for about 6 weeks. Ask me anything :smile:.

The lever batteries should last about 1.5 - 2 years, but I took them out anyway... just to see how that worked. Easy enough, it's a 30 second job :smile:.
How many of the batteries are chargeable ?

Does the charge last as long as 11 speed Di2 ?

Twilkes

Guru
I had no idea they were rare, Shimano have been sending me 12-speed bikes for months now, I'm fed up with it, the shed's full and the last batch went straight in the canal. They're still there if anybody wants one.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
How many of the batteries are chargeable ?

Does the charge last as long as 11 speed Di2 ?
The normal seat post battery is rechargeable, and it operates the two dérailleurs only. It now charges via rear derailleur. The front shifters have batteries like CR2016 and these are replaceable. The general consensus is that the battery charge life is substantially the same as 11 sp, which is typically 2 or 3k km. I've been using my 11 sp Di2 for 20 months or so and never even came close to draining the battery, so nothing to worry about. My view is if you let it run flat you are an idiot and don't blame the hardware.

TerryDi2

Yeah.. the levers use CR1632 - they will last for about 2 years.
They go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, and you'll have to wake them up when you start your ride (very first press of a button won't shift the bike).

The main battery, BT-DN300 doesn't last as long as the previous generation batteries. Shimano says you should be able to ride at least 1000km when running the system wirelessly... and they'll last 50% longer when running the system wired.

That said, Shimano's "1000km" really is the worst-case scenario: riding 45km/day or 2h/day, 54 FD shifts per ride, and 370 RD shifts.
(54 FD shifts in 45km is a lot)

I rode about 500km (awful weather), and did a lot of tinkering, and playing with the app. I only charged the bike the day I got it, and it was fine :smile:.

Twilkes

Guru
(54 FD shifts in 45km is a lot)
Thinking through my regular 30km route in my head I probably got close to 30-40 FD shifts (i.e. to small ring then back is two shifts) so it's not totally outwith reality. There are a fair few ups and downs though, and you probably shift more with a compact than with a 53-39 where you can stay on the smaller ring for longer on the flats.

Top Bottom