Has anybody ridden the Rhine Radweg and on to Hook of Holland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

What is the best route to take from the end of the Rhine radweg in Germany through holland to the Hook to catch a ferry home?

Try Cycle Tourers Website or E-Mail Jon ... He also post's on this Forum as cycletourer

Simon

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Vol 3 of the Bikeline guide extends the route right to the Hook from the centre of Rotterdam where I think the route officially ends.

The couple or three times I did it, I preferred to go over the river to the south bank and so through Brielle. Can't for the life of me remember how I got back across at the end. There must have been a ferry or something.

CycleTourer

Veteran
BTFB,

As Andy says, the Rhein radweg does go all the way to the Hook. However the alternatives are, the LF4 from Arnhem (the airborne museum at Oosterbeek is worth a look) which takes you west just under Utrecht to Den Haag and then it is a short nip south on the LF1 to the Hook or it is the LF12 from Nijmegen, which takes you just south of Dordrecht and Rotterdam to Maassluis and then it is a short hop to the Hook.

There is an interactive map showing the LF routes here : http://www.fietsplatform.nl/routes/interactieve_kaart.asp

Both have there merits, Lf4 would give you a change of scenery from the being near to the rivers and takes you through more mixed country side and in parts through some woodland and on slightly higher ground.

old donald

Just come back from holland - did Arnhem - Airborne Museum is well worth a visit - several good campsites in Arnhem about 10 euros per night

I too approached the hook from the south and used some of the ferrys which get you arcross the rivers etc at minimal cost -roll on and roll off - cost less than 1 euro. Going through Rotterdam looked okay but the bit between Rotterdam and Europort / hook is very industrial - hence I opted for the apporach from the south.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou...did you keep a rough note/map of the route you actually took? My map takes me into Rotterdam centre then leaves me in the lurch to get to the Hook....which isnt far I know but if you have a 'bike friendly' route already i will just follow that.

snorri

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thankyou...did you keep a rough note/map of the route you actually took?

There really are countless options for the section from the Rhine Radweg to the Hook. You will probably adjust your route as you go along depending on the sights that interest you as you go along........well that's what I did.;)

old donald

Didn't go into Rotterdam at all - but then I was approaching Europort from the south - Breda - Zevenbergen - Willemstad (nice for coffee and cake - loads of roadies stopped here for a cake stop) over the big bridge (but there is a cycle lane) Numansdorp - Nieuw Beijerland - ferry - simonshaven - breille - Oostvoorne - and bang your there - and no industrial c**p until the last 3km. Pretty much all cycle lanes and well signposted.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Thankyou...did you keep a rough note/map of the route you actually took? My map takes me into Rotterdam centre then leaves me in the lurch to get to the Hook....which isnt far I know but if you have a 'bike friendly' route already i will just follow that.

The Dutch do some pretty large scale maps which still have the bike routes marked on them. If, for instance, you decide to go via Brielle, just cross the river with your map, turn right and head in the general direction. Bike paths all the way. You will soon pick up bike path signs for all the towns you choose to have on your route. In other words you can be very relaxed about navigating in Holland.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
go via Brielle, just cross the river with your map, turn right and head in the general direction

If you go via Brielle, cross the river with the bridge, cycle through Rozenburg and cross the Nieuwe Waterweg by the ferry to Maassluis. Then turn LEFT to get to Hook of Holland. It sounds a bit fiddly but is as straightforward as a pannier on a rack. The ferry shouldn't cost more than a pound or so.

orbiter

I've used LF12 between Nijmegen & Hook, through s'Hertogenbosch. Easily reached from Arnhem, too. A very pleasant rural route - just bit industrial for a couple of miles through Europoort to cross the river.

Pete

Top Bottom