Has anyone else got a weak immune system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
People at work have joked that it's due to cycling as I'm the only one who cycles and the one who catches everything. I'm not sure of the cause. I eat well, exercise obviously, don't smoke or drink.

1.5 years ago I had my tonsils removed privately as my doctor refused and at that point I had a near constant infection in my tonsils and was on antibiotics all the time.

I now have to have an absence hearing at work as last week had one day off with a stomach bug and this week have had 2 days off with a fever and chest infection. And I'm worried that they are going to put the blame on cycling.

Anyone else seem to pick up every bug going or have you got any tips for me?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm probably healthier when I commute by bicycle rather than using public transport. I also wah a lot which helps avoid sick colleagues who bring their lurgies to the office

I rarely get an illness that renders me unable to work, just as well as I’m freelance.

Perhaps you should discuss this with your Dr? Although it's the time of year for bugs and nasties...assuming you're healthier during the warmer months?

I find avoiding children aka little plague carriers at all costs helps ;)

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
My then GP was reluctant to send me to have my tonsils out in the late 1950s* because he believed they helped fight infection. So I suffered tonsillitis every 6 months for 6 or 7 years, until 'I grew out of it'. In my adult life I've had tonsillitis a few times, but never had them out.

*It was the fashion to whip out tonsils after infection at the time and many of my school friends had it done.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
My then GP was reluctant to send me to have my tonsils out in the late 1950s* because he believed they helped fight infection. So I suffered tonsillitis every 6 months for 6 or 7 years, until 'I grew out of it'. In my adult life I've had tonsillitis a few times, but never had them out.

*It was the fashion to whip out tonsils after infection at the time and many of my school friends had it done.

I was 25 when I had them out and had 6 bad cases of tonsillitis over the winter before the op (each time I was prescribed antibiotics, but by the end they were not effective so I was going back to docs for a different and stronger dose). I also had a few cases that didn't develop into full blown tonsillitis but were still bad enough to interfere with my eating. I'd been like this every year since childhood and it was getting worse each year. My doctor believed I would grow out of it but at 25 I thought this was unlikely.

I did the right thing getting them out, I wasn't ill this year until Christmas but now there seem to be lots of bugs going around and I catch every one of them.

Just wondered if there's anything I can do to help prevent this and so that if they ask in the hearing I can put forward some changes I'm going to make.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could try adding Zinc I think it is as a supplement.
Could try something like this through the winter but get blood tests first at GP

https://www.vitabiotics.com/shop/im...MI_cma9M3w2AIVirXtCh2oegRPEAQYAyABEgLWwfD_BwE

Make sure you get plenty of sleep. Have rest days off the bike etc

Also, keep your hands very clean, maybe use a hand gel frequently as well as the usual hygiene?

Seems pretty harsh of your employer if you normally have a good / non existent absence record

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I used to get tonsillitis nearly every year when I worked a shift rotation. I put it down to being run down due to sleep patterns being all over the shop also not helped by young children in the house whom would keep you up at all sorts of times. However that changed when I came of shifts and started cycle commuting much more than previously. So maybe need to work out with a doctor why you seem to catch common ailments ? Personally doubt its any form of exercise, however you should be resting as well !

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I cycle every day but some days just 6 miles so I count that as a rest day.

I wash my hands alot but will get some hand sanitizer. Where I work people come in even when they are ill and that is part of the problem in my opinion.

I had blood tests last year and all came back very healthy, I'm reluctant to go back to my doctors as they tend to just throw antibiotics at me.

I'm always outside in all weathers and in the mud in winter (mtb, walking and on horse) so perhaps this has something to do with it also.

MiK1138

Veteran
Nothing to do with cycling, I cycle to work every day in all weathers and I have the best sickness record in my Department, in fact the only time off i have had from work was due to falling off my bike

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’d suggest looking at all the foods you eat and what they provide in terms of vitamins and other health benefits. Compare with what your body needs and what could boost your immune system. It will take a little time and patience with Google and comparing a number of sites to find what they agree your body needs, but it is doable. It works for me. I changed my diet to suit and I take a number of supplements such as vitamins B12, D, E, zinc, co-enzyme Q10 plus several others. I have never felt better. Please note though that when you start taking any kind of supplement, it takes a minimum of six months before you see any benefit. Shop around when sourcing supplements as prices vary significantly. Some of mine are from Holland & Barrett, some from Amazon, for example. If you buy from H&B, make sure you join their free loyalty scheme as you get money off vouchers every 3 months - how much you get obviously depends on how much you spend. This is what works for me, and it may help you. The important thing is you tailor your diet and any supplements to your needs.

Another thought occurs, and I apologise if this sounds patronising, but are you replacing the energy your body uses when cycling, or doing any other exercise, within 30 minutes of finishing that exercise? I find I need to eat on return from a ride. Usually fruit or a sandwich depending on how far I’ve ridden. I once read that if you eat within 30 minutes of end of exercise you body absorbs the food much better, sending vitamins and minerals, etc. to where the body needs them most. I find this to be true for me.

All of the above is from my own personal research plus trial and error. I’m not an expert in any way, shape or form - I’m barely a novice!

campagman

Guru
Have you looked into improving your Gut health? It's quite popular at the moment. You are what you eat and if your gut health is compromised you will not be making full use of the foods you eat.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The only advice I can offer is the experience of a friend who commutes 23 miles, round trip, each day. This winter he has been seconded to another branch of his company which means driving to work.

He’s been ill off and on all winter. This is someone who never gets sick.

Top Bottom