Has anyone ever cycled over the Pont de Normandie.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
.....and lived to tell the tale?

It looks fairly bonkers, and I'm thinking of cycling over it to get to Honfleur on my way from from Rouen to Le Havre.

Thanks.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's fine. But there is a nice, free ferry further back along the river at Quillebeuf, and a minor roads way into Le Havre.

iluvmybike

Über Member
According to what I have read there is a cycleway/footway across the bridge which is free to use. Not sure how you get to it without using the motorway - though I did notice quite a lot of marked cycle lanes when in Le Havre beginning of this week

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes we cycled over it a few years ago.
No problem.
Cycle lane is a bit narrow but no big deal.
Can't remember the access road but must have been ok.
2018-09-27_03-48-26.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
My memory of cycling across the bridge in 2002 has faded, but my tour diary records no trauma:smile:.
I do remember cycling under a graveyard in Le Havre, that was a first for me^_^.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I rode it in July. It's free for bikes and has a separate entrance from the one used by cars. The cycle lane is about 1.5m wide and only separated from the road via a white line. There is a pedestrian lane to the right of the cycle lane which has a better disonnect from the cycle lane - solid wall as per rualexander's pic.

The overriding memory was that the uphill went on for a bit (loaded bike) and it was breezy at the top.

I didn't fear the traffic, but the majority of passing traffic was Dutch and Belgian holidaymakers and they gave me a wide berth and the occasional toot-toot as encouragement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom