Has anyone ever used a oil extraction pump to change oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
View attachment 550737
You're never getting all the sludge out of the bottom of that, notice the bolt is recessed slightly. However you extract the oil unless you drop the sump and give it a good clean with a detergent and clean the oil strainer while you are there its not a proper job. I'm not advocating you do this by the way. I wouldn't, I'd just keep regularly changing the oil. With the extraction tube I push it all the way into the district tube until I feel it hit the bottom of the sump. Then let the extractor do its thing. I have undone the sump bolt when I used the extractor the first time and it was empty. I was and am confident it gets it all out as much as possible.

The recessed plug always perturbed me and sort of precipitated the thoughts of other ways to empty it.

The car has interstellar milage and prior to my ownership has had the sump off, probably after a turbo popped and to fit the modified pick up / remove the gauze. Whoever removed it did so seemingly with a cold chisel and lump hammer and having failed set to with the sthil saw, snapping several bolts and damaging the block. Needless to say its a bugger to get back on and to seal so I avoid taking it off.

I used to have a 1.7 Corsa with the Isuzu forklift engine. I used to flush that with paraffin by dropping the oil and refilling with paraffin and then cranking with the fuel off. But that didn't have a highly strung turbo. It also used to run on veg oil too when that was a thing. Managed 213000 miles in that, then the Speedo and odometer stopped working for
The last 18 month I then sold it to a takeaway driver who used it for about 2yrs. Then saw it in a scrapyard with the engine missing.
Anyway I digress.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a vacuum pump with a spherical container.

Seems to work quite well, it usually sucks out at least the rated capacity for the engine.

I suspect a powered pump would do a better job than removing the sump plug.

Pumps have been used in boating for years.

Lots of boats are pump only because the sump plug - if there is one - is obscured by the bottom of the boat.

I bought my pump from a chandler in the Lake District.

Top Bottom