Has anyone got a refurbished Garmin device?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

My Edge 305 packed up earlier in the week; doesn't find satellites. It's been playing up for a few months now but I've been able to keep it going with resets, reloads, general perseverance, etc etc. The Garmin support desk confirmed it's death and gave me an RMA number for return and a refurbished replacement.

I'd thought about getting a new one since I'd heard of some dissatisfaction with refurbs but cost decided the matter for me (£65 for a refurb v 3x that new). It does come with a year warranty so I guess I'm covered if I am sold a pup.

Anyone got a refurb and had any problems with it?

Will1985

Über Member
What do you think of Garmin's support desk? I broke a GSC10 a couple of weeks ago and haven't got round to seeing what they can do about it. I heard that emailing is pretty pointless.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Will1985 said:
I heard that emailing is pretty pointless.

It was for me, twice.

First time, many months ago when the screen display went a bit funky I emailed them and got no reply. The screen has since corrected itself. And again just a few days back when the service rep I spoke to sent me a chipset update by email to which I responded to but got no reply.

On the phone they seem okay. I think the problem with my Edge was pretty well known/documented though because it took all of a few minutes for them to say 'nah, it's borked'.

I'd agree with the emailing response, two emails, no replies. The phone was another matter regarding a flattened Garmin Geko with a trashed screen, they couldn't have been more helpful. I sent it back with the flat rate £50ish payment and back came a brand new GPS, top support!

Joe

Über Member
I've had a good result emailing them regarding my edge 305.
It was originally a refurb I bought on ebay last year and was playing up in all manner of ways. I emailed them, admittedly it took them a couple of days, but they replied asking me to send it in. A week later it arrived back, good as new :laugh: No cost.

honestal

I've been impressed with Garmin Customer Service recently. I too had a cadence sensor that was playing up, you could see it detecting the magnets on the crank and wheel, but the Edge wouldn't find it. I've got several others and it'd find them so I knew it was the sensor that was dodgy. Called customer service expecting, at best, to get an RM number for it's return, but no, straight away they said they'd send me a replacement (which has subsequently arrived) So spot on as far is I'm concerned

OP
OP
Y

yello

honestal said:
I too had a cadence sensor that was playing up, you could see it detecting the magnets on the crank and wheel, but the Edge wouldn't find it.

Mine would 'pair' with only 1 of the 3 sensors I have, or so it said, but it would display the cadence for all anyway!

Joe, bit worried about your refurb story... it's the sort of thing I've read before. Hopefully mine will be right first time!

OP
OP
Y

yello

You do see refurbs on Ebay but I'm not sure about anywhere else.

Garmin do a refurb program but I think it is only for customers without out of warranty problems.

Top Bottom