Has anyone got views on the Raleigh Criterium 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go ride it, Evans offer a simple test ride process. Only you can decide if it's the right bike for you. Try a couple of other similar ones as a comparison, then choose. It's a basic spec, you might finder higher level components on an older (2016) model

Important thing, as a commuter, check any bike will take proper fixed mudguards and even for 4 miles, I'd be fitting a pannier rack to avoid sweaty backpack back

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks reasonable for the price and you get a carbon fork. Base Shimano drivetrain but should work fine. About what you might expect at that price point. Give it a try and see what you think.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4795178, member: 259"]I doubt you'd get a pannier rack on that, though.[/QUOTE]
Maybe with P Clips, I did on a Planet X RT58 and my Genesis. That might be why it's not the optimum bike for the OP. Mudguards tend to be more of an issue, often those appalling flimsy Cruds are the only option. I wouldn't want those on a commuter (or indeed any bike ever again come to think of it)

Drago

Legendary Member
Thirded. They were OK, but never entirely satisfactory.

Alu with a carbon fork, hardly unusual :smile:

Double butted. At that price range they're usually plain hydroformed, though DB isslowly working it's way down.

Tapered steerer too. Again, far from universal at that price ;)

So, as I say, quite a reasonable, decent spec frame for the price (on paper). It wouldn't be difficult at all to do worse.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another vote for the Boardman. You also get branded rims and a non press fit (I think) BB. Shame it doesn't look a bit more exciting.

OP
OP
I

Inspectorspock

Regular
Thank you all for your help. I just picked the bike up today and had a lovely ride home in the sun.

Already in love with the bike.

I ended up purchasing the bike through Cyclelife in Bristol. They were very helpful and welcoming. The guy said if I ever have any questions (no matter how silly) please drop in as he wouldn't like to think of someone not enjoying their bike.

Top Bottom