Has anyone swapped out their chainring for a non-oem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Aftermarket chainguards are hard to find in some sizes and can be super-heavy.
You can get chainwheels with included chainguards, i.e. from alligt in the netherlands (they are in the spare parts section - "onderdelen"). Not totally cheap typically and possibly since Brexit even worse in the UK. There's also a company from I think Czechoslovakia who produce these kind of chainwheels, currently cannot remember the name. And possibly you may find some on sites like Aliexpress as well.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
As it happens, I don't think I've ever cycled my Brompton with 'trousers' on. Tights in the winter sometimes, but not often.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m usually in second gear on the BWR hub most of the time when I’m pootling about, and use the +/- on the derailleur. That’s on a 44 ring, ( I’m old, and slow, but enjoy riding my Brommie)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can get chainwheels with included chainguards, i.e. from alligt in the netherlands (they are in the spare parts section - "onderdelen"). Not totally cheap typically and possibly since Brexit even worse in the UK. There's also a company from I think Czechoslovakia who produce these kind of chainwheels, currently cannot remember the name. And possibly you may find some on sites like Aliexpress as well.
Spa Cycles is your friend: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s210p4474/SPA-CYCLES-Alloy-Chainguard-130-BCD

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Before you replace the chainring, bear in mind that the chain and cassette wear quicker and will need replacing from time to time. From what you describe, the teeth difference between your 5th and 4th sprockets is too great. Might be worth considering alternative cassette sizes.
Its a brompton hence cassette N/A

shingwell

I’m usually in second gear on the BWR hub most of the time when I’m pootling about, and use the +/- on the derailleur. That’s on a 44 ring, ( I’m old, and slow, but enjoy riding my Brommie)
Same here (on all points). After a nasty accident in my youth when my trousers got caught in the chainwheel I would not cycle without a guard (ok I admit it was so long ago they were probably wider/flappier than todays fashion!)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
That's the best way to do it, so the IGH is in direct drive most of the time. My 2-speed is actually the same as the middle two gears of my Sachs 6-speed (13/15).

12boy

Guru
As I have said before, I have 2 chainrings for the greasy finger shift, 58 and 38 on a 110 BCD crank, and currently have a 11/14/17 setup on a 1 speed wheel. This one piece sprocket set was gifted to me by Bikegang and I like it very well. I also have a 177% SA 3 speed wheel which has a slightly larger range but weighs quite a bit more and an extra front wheel. I will prolly put a pair of studded snows on the extras this winter.

ukoldschool

Yes - it is a 6-speed with BWR hub.

I did once try the 2-speed cogs (12/16 instead of 13/16), which sort of did exactly what I want to achieve here by making 4th a bit taller (and 2nd and 6th). But as it didn't affect the odd gears, as you say it messed up the ratios something chronic.

I think I've worked out that changing gears on the standard 6-speed adds or subtracts about 12-15 RPM with each change. That's quite a big difference compared to my old Dahon which had 27 gears and covered a similar spread. By switching to the 2-speed sprockets it made that better and worse at the same time.

I didn't have a cadence sensor at the time, so didn't conduct any sort of 'experiment' but it made switching from 5th to 6th comically wide.
you should have gone 12/15, then the 'jump' would have been equal

Top Bottom