has anyone used the european bike express

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
... and the service removes a lot of the faff of getting on and off trains

It does depend a lot where you live, but the trains can be very quick and the prices surprisingly reasonable if you book early. An all-night coach trip versus taking the bike across Paris? There are pros and cons on both sides.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It does depend a lot where you live, but the trains can be very quick and the prices surprisingly reasonable if you book early. An all-night coach trip versus taking the bike across Paris? There are pros and cons on both sides.

For me the pick up point is three miles from where I live and the set down point is exactly where I want to start my ride. Suits me perfectly :thumbsup:

I have used trains and ferries to get to St Malo from Leeds twice. It's relatively faff free but it does have a degree of uncertainty regarding whether or not you can get your bike on the train to Portsmouth as South West trains do not offer bike reservation facilities. I didn't particularly enjoy riding from Kings Cross to Waterloo.

im thinking of going touring in france in may and consider using the bike express i live in south birmingham and would have to ride or catch train to the corly drop point is it is it is easy to get to and has any one got any experience with them

Maybe a little late with this answer but here goes. Pick up the Bike Express at Newport Pagnell. Catch an early train from New St, Virgin and LM do cheap advance fares. If going with Virgin get off at Milton Keynes, it is an easy ride through the park and along the canal to NP services. If going by LM, get off at Wolverton and cycle to NP about 4 miles.

Mawsley

Thanks to those who answered - it is working for me again now.

I think I'd prefer this to the ferry to Spain (I loathe ferries). That said, I'm not sure how I'd cope with the confined space.

Has anybody caught the train through France? Did you have to book your bike? How much was it?

andym

Über Member
Has anybody caught the train through France? Did you have to book your bike? How much was it?

Yes it's as easy as starting a new thread for a new question. (This helps people using the search engine or even just browsing the forum).

Nareloc

Regular
I've only used the service once for a return from Perpignan. Four of us timed it to get the return of the first Bike Express of the year to Spain. The advantage was.....the bus to ourselves! They had nobody to bring back from Spain, just four of us all the way home with two hostesses pampering to our every need. What an enjoyable and relaxed way to get home after a long tour!

Fiona N

Veteran
The first couple of times I used the EBE it was with my Windcheetah - no problems as trikes go on the upper deck of the trailer.
The third time was with a recumbent bike and the driver was a moaner - 'I hate these bikes, they don't fit in the racks.....on and on....'. Just because it required a bit more effort to secure it on the upper deck. And he still didn't get it right and the brake lever on one side was damaged. No problems on the return though.

I wish they still ran to Italy though - I have to get off in Thionville or Mulhouse and get the train through Switzerland from Basle - or extend the tour by a few days each end.

Top Bottom