has anyone used the european bike express

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mazza

im thinking of going touring in france in may and consider using the bike express i live in south birmingham and would have to ride or catch train to the corly drop point is it is it is easy to get to and has any one got any experience with them

3tyretrackterry

Try asking on the Recumbent Forum i am pretty sure that a couple of trikers have used it

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've heard that it's good and I wanted to use it this summer but there are very limited options on dates and the ones I could have used were already full. Get in quick would be my advice.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The pickup points are mostly chosen as somewhere close to a motorway junction where it's easy to turn a coach & trailer. It might be just a lay by, so if you ride there, the coach is running late and it's raining, it might not be very pleasant. There are a couple of pickups at motorway services, which are generally accessible by bike if you can find the back entrance.
The bus itself has more leg room than standard UK coaches, but 24 hours on a coach is pretty tedious.

Panniers go in the luggage compartment under the floor, or in the bike trailer and you have no access to them on the journey. Sort what you want for the journey into a separate bag before the bus arrives at the pickup.

Valence and Orange are OK for an early (dawn) start - anywhere further north and you will probably want to book accommodation. On the return, anywhere north of Orange will be an uncomfortably late pickup.

Normal bikes are fine but there's limited space for tandems, recumbent etc that don't fit in the fitted bike racks. Water bottles & pumps can fall off en route if not strapped on, so check when you get off or take them on the bus with you.

Dougster

I used it in the summer of 2008. I took the west coast route and got off at Bordeaux, went down the west coast then into the Pyrenees, up to Carcassonne and along the Canal de Midi to Toulouse. Picked up the bike bus at Toulouse. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially spending time on the bus with fellow cycle tourists. However, I'm sure being on a coach for so long is not everyone's cup of tea. Service on the coach was excellent, cheap drinks on request and hot meals are also available. I would use it again rather than the hassle of taking the bike on a plane but as the French say "chacun a son gout".

Tony

I have used the service many times. It has changed operators, but is still the same bus/trailer configuration.
The trip down and back is overnight, so can be a bit wearing with a full bus. Bacon sarnies and cuppa in the morning.....
There are different types of seating. With a table, you are facing, so no reclining seat and if the bus is full no leg room. Similar lack oflegroom at the front uostairs, and no reclining seats in front of the "kitchen" downstairs. Take a sleeping bag or warm clothes on for the overnighter.
Be at pick up point early. Bars rotated ninety degrees on an upright, luggage off. They load it very quickly and safely. My normal pick up/drop off point is Dover docks, a short ride from Priory station.
A very goodservice. Where are you going?

Mawsley

This isn't working for me - do they still exist?

Ive used it over a dozen times - excellent service - just get a good book - and in no time at all you are clambering off and away

sorry no idea about Corley - but there are maps on the website showing the pickup points

asterix

Comrade Member
Once I got a front seat and there was this violent thunderstorm round Paris. Superb spectacle! I don't know how they managed to arrange that..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's a great service. I've used it for three years and will be using it again this year.

The onboard catering is value for money and the service removes a lot of the faff of getting on and off trains, and ferries or aeroplanes.

Top Bottom