Has Lance's return been good for the tour?

Has Lance's return been good for the tour?

• Yes, good for the tour

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Same - no difference

• No, bad for the tour

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Living in a country where cycling still isn't that big, it's hard for Brits to conceive of just how huge Mark Cavendish is on the continent. When I was at the Giro's Cinque Terre time trial he got a massive roar, probably surpassed only by Lance Armstrong, Franco Pellizotti and Marco Pinotti.

jimboalee

If it increases the public's awareness of cycling, it is a good thing.

Next thing you know the BBC will be showing a Sunday Lunchtime show called "Strictly come cycling".;)

Noodley

looking at the 'exciting' bits so far I would say none of them have been due to Lance. He was part of the team which won the TTT but they would have won without him. None of the other race moments has had anything to do with him.

The successful breakaways, the sprints finishes, the unsuccessful breakaways. These are why this year's tour is exciting. Nothing to do with Lance.

Skip Madness

Noodley said:
looking at the 'exciting' bits so far I would say none of them have been due to Lance. He was part of the team which won the TTT but they would have won without him. None of the other race moments has had anything to do with him.

The successful breakaways, the sprints finishes, the unsuccessful breakaways. These are why this year's tour is exciting. Nothing to do with Lance.
Not the bit where he was the only one of the favourites with the nous to nab those 40 seconds on stage three?

Noodley

Skip Madness said:
Not the bit where he was the only one of the favourites with the nous to nab those 40 seconds on stage three?

Hardly a great moment tho was it? It added nothing to the Tour by way of excitement. It was good for him, but not for the Tour. Which is what the thread is about :laugh:

Noodley said:
Hardly a great moment tho was it? It added nothing to the Tour by way of excitement. It was good for him, but not for the Tour. Which is what the thread is about :laugh:

Nah. I reckon that was one of the most exciting stages so far. A GC gets clear and gains time on all the other GC's on a flat stage. The fact it was Armstrong added some spice.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Crackle said:
Nah. I reckon that was one of the most exciting stages so far. A GC gets clear and gains time on all the other GC's on a flat stage. The fact it was Armstrong added some spice.

Had me on the edge of my seat :laugh::biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
He's definitely added some drama, but I'm finding his all-pervading presence rather tiring.
The grauniad had this piece on Cav today - check the photo caption... :laugh:

Skip Madness

Noodley said:
Horses for courses. For me it was probably the most exciting moment of the Tour so far (if you can call forty minutes a moment).

Landslide said:
He's definitely added some drama, but I'm finding his all-pervading presence rather tiring.
The grauniad had this piece on Cav today - check the photo caption... :laugh:

I notice they dont acknowlegde the forearm entering the shot over Cav's other shoulder!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Crackle said:
Doesn't William Fotheringham write for the Guardian anymore?

I think so, but I couldn't swear.

I'm in two minds about LA's presence. For the TdF grand soap opera, its probably a good thing as it fills the gossip columns. For the sporting spectacle, possibly a good thing if the soap opera spills out on to the road with LA acting as Dasterdly to Contador's Penelope Pitstop. For cycling in general, I wish he'd stayed out.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He does still write for The Grauniad but Richard Williams is a sports columnist who has a special affection for cycling and tries to get a mention in every week. A rare good thing in a journo.
He's obviously got a plum assignment to cover the Tour this time.

Mac66

In my opinion if Lance gets beaten it will be a good thing that he is in the Tour.

I think many people have the sneeking suspicion that all the Tour winners since his departure have somehow just been lucky that he's not been around.

If beaten, his ghost can be laid to rest so to speak.

Top Bottom