Has much changed - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
'Spend an hour on any road and you will see that there are any number of shockingly bad drivers about; but how often do you meet a man who can drive, and has driven for some time, but who will admit that he is a bungler and a menace - ?' 'But if a man has handled a car for a year or two, he will not admit that he is anything but supremely efficient. So they go on - as the statistics of death and injury show us - dealing death in their vanity.'
J.B.Preistly 'Journey Through England' publ.1933.
Observations anyone - ? :whistle:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's only ever other drivers who are rubbish.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Most people think they are good drivers, especilly the ones who have had no incidents in their driving career. But that doesn't mean they do everything right all the time. Since getting a more powerful car I find I'm actually driving slower to save fuel, which I think helps a lot. If you're not in a rush then you don't mind waiting and erring on the side of caution e.g when pulling out from a junction or minor onto major road. I'm also a stickler for lane discipline and doing shoulder checks (a fortunate side effect of being a motorcyclist).

The advanced safety of modern cars lulls people into a false sense of security I think. As a passenger I've never seen anyone else do shoulder checks like I do, I even do them as a pedestrian. Yet I've seen so many near misses with peds and road users where they've failed to look/anticipate properly.

And to refer to the statement in the OP, one must always be aware that yes, drivers of any vehicle are a potential menace/danger. Not enough people realise that

tyred

Legendary Member
When I look back on how awful some of the old drivers were when I was growing up, most of which would never have taken a test, the standard of driving is much higher and everyone has had to prove basic competency to get their licence.

Unfortunately, higher speeds, more impatience, a lack of manners, consideration for others, ever-increasing traffic levels, more distraction behind the wheel and a sense of self-entitlement for amany people mean our roads are nowhere near as safe as they should be.

Most people don't mean any harm, they do potentially dangerous things because they don't realise the dangers and because they get away with it due to little road policing or education.

Alex321

Veteran
Unfortunately, higher speeds, more impatience, a lack of manners, consideration for others, ever-increasing traffic levels, more distraction behind the wheel and a sense of self-entitlement for amany people mean our roads are nowhere near as safe as they should be.
While this is true, things could certainly be better, it is also the case that our roads are some of the safest in the world, in terms of KSI per billion vehicle Kilometres or per billion passenger Km.

Punkawallah

Über Member
According to Wiki, UK has some 3.8 death per billion vehicle miles, Belgium 7.3, Norway 3.0, with other European countries between.

CXRAndy

Guru
I taught my kids to drive, several friends too in the last 8 years, this brought it home.

I've been humbled by professional racing drivers on track days.

I'm a shite driver, but try to do better most outings

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
many near misses with peds and road users where they've failed to look/anticipate properly.
And of course, with the multiple, let's say, techno distractions, it appears to be on the increase.
I'm sure that most of us, whether on bike or in a car have had cellphone distracted pedestrians walk into the road without looking. :eek:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've made the transition from driving lots of miles for work, to cycling in retirement.
I'm shocked at how much more careful I am now because I feel my vulnerability. In my comfy, quiet car I didn't have that feeling.

I am very thankful that I didn't hurt anyone.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am very thankful that I didn't hurt anyone.

A miracle indeed.

crash0221.jpg.gallery.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
And of course, with the multiple, let's say, techno distractions, it appears to be on the increase.
I'm sure that most of us, whether on bike or in a car have had cellphone distracted pedestrians walk into the road without looking. :eek:

We have those pedestrians on our main street all the time. When we had premises at each end of the street I cycled between the two and had brakes which squealed loudly. I was frightened some of the peds would have heart attacks when I braked to avoid them but I kept the brakes like that on purpose. :whistle:

Top Bottom