Hase Kettwiesel owners - can you identify what goes where ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Can anyone shed light on the correct purpose for these three sets of holes - A (vertical slot), B and C - on the rear of the Hase Kettwiesel ?

Seat Support Rear 705.jpg

It's a steel Kett frame, from maybe 2003-2006. I can see that Hase used the same component - but reversed - on each side, so I'm guessing that some holes will remain unfilled, depending on the which side the upright was welded to. TIA.

On my 2006 aluminium Kett, A is for the mudguard frame: allowing it to slide up and down with two fixing bolts, so you can adjust for different tyre diameters. The central “C” hole is where the seat stay goes, mine has the empty holes as well.

No idea what B is for but my trike has them too and they’re not used. Maybe to fit some superseded disk calliper mounting?

OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Thank you. That's helpful. I've been trawling the internet for additional information.
Here's my query - the 2003 Hase manual (English version) describes procedure for readjusting the track (p9) when changing the boom length, and also how to adjust the seat angle (p10).

Kett Manual 2003 p9 JPG.jpg

Kett Manual 2003 p10 JPG.jpg

Would you agree - it looks like the seatstay in this example used the same slot as the mudguard mount ?

Edit: I'm asking only because if on your Kett the seat stay is mounted in a different hole to the one pictured, then Hase designers can't have been too precious about where exactly the lower position of the seat stay is. Useful - I'm working on where best to secure the lower end of the seat stay on the rebuild project.

Attachments

• Kett Manual 2003 p9.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Kett Manual 2003 p10.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yes... the mudguard mounting on mine is very similar to this. The new seat frame has a slot on the seat itself for angle adjustment but if you want to have some adjustability with the ICE seat you’re using, the slot would make it easier.

As you don’t have a moveable jockey wheel to know where to fit the brake calliper you may have to play about with various positions until you get the callipers in the right position... though I’d guess that middle is the best guess!

OT any chance of a picture of the other side of the trike? I’m curious about the relationship of motor to bottom bracket to frame. I might have some ideas for mods on my own trike...

OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Yes... the mudguard mounting on mine is very similar to this. The new seat frame has a slot on the seat itself for angle adjustment but if you want to have some adjustability with the ICE seat you’re using, the slot would make it easier.

I've been experimenting with the spare aluminium tube from the walking frame; I think I'll try using the slot (A) for the lower securing bolts for the seat stay.

Seat Stays Test 1 705.jpg

As you don’t have a moveable jockey wheel to know where to fit the brake calliper you may have to play about with various positions until you get the callipers in the right position... though I’d guess that middle is the best guess!

Not sure what exactly was meant when the Manual referred to a "moveable jockey wheel" - do you think it was the additional mounting plate visible in their photo ? I have not experimented with the "plate" that's on the Left rear upright - I'm presuming it is only there to support the brake caliper ?

OT any chance of a picture of the other side of the trike? I’m curious about the relationship of motor to bottom bracket to frame. I might have some ideas for mods on my own trike...

OK, no problem. You'll know the Hase BB's have a 65mm width, then with the 3mm of the chain tube stay the total would be the standard 68mm. I admit I haven't yet made a chain tube stay for this Kett - I have the aluminium sheet, ready, but have been waiting until the drive train is working before I fettle that. I've put 2 lock rings on the TSDZ2, but will likely ony have room for one when the chain tube stay is put in place.

TSDZ2 on Kett 1 705.jpg

TSDZ2 on Kett 2 705.jpg

The black torque collar was a clamp left over from the handbike - with a longer M8 bolt it does the job nicely.

Last edited:

my old Kett... I regret selling it, but there you are! just along the boom from the chainset there are a couple of idler wheels, the bottom one is fixed onto a welded arm and the top one is attached via a couple of bolts to the boom (the pairs of holes shown in the manual = the moveable jockey wheel). This acts as a simple chain adjuster for when the boom is moved in or out. If you don’t adjust the length for different riders you don’t need it but when I’ve bypassed it on my newer machine (it has a more complicated version) the chain flaps about and the rear mech complains about the extra length of chain it’s pulling against).

Thanks for the extra photos, gives me something to think about!

OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
OK, so the jockey wheel is another name for their chain idlers - hadn't thought of that. I can understand why moving the idlers/jockey wheel would be needed when changing the length of the boom.

But I admit I can't understand why the position of the brake caliper mount needs to change when boom is extended/retracted ? Is this the "track" they refer to in the manual ? Bit confused about this !

On my Kettwiesel AL there are a pair of threaded rods running forward to the inner side of each axle tube - careful adjustment of these adjusts the rear wheel tracking. I’ve never touched it but maybe it would be educational to check: the Kett has always felt harder work than my TrICEs. I’ve had mine from new and it came factory set for my X-seam (I had to tell them this when it was ordered, I didn’t know at first why they wanted such personal information!

On the older steel models it seems to have involved large iron bars and a spare rugby team, at least on the differential equipped models like yours:

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34444

I had a dig about and here are a couple of photos of the axles of my old Kett, you can see what they discuss in the above thread quite clearly (the one of the right side is a zoomed in detail so is a bit grainy)

ps if there’s a farmer in Norfolk who still has it and isn’t using it please let me know!

OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Thank you. Read and understood - as I have a diff on a steel frame, i'll not worry about the tracking - and once up and running, I'll see if the current position of the left rear calliper support needs amending.
I can also choose the most suitable hole for the rear seat supports, and not be concerned.

Top Bottom