How Many Recumbents Have You Actually Seen on the Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
How many recumbents have you actually seen on the road?
I read posts from recumbent riders from time to time but unless you are involved in BHPV racing or similar it’s possible that unless you have one in your garage you might never have seen another one on the road while out riding.

Before I ever thought about riding a recumbent myself I used to see a two wheeler being ridden quite quickly from time to time on the A556 Northwich bypass while taking my lad to school around 2005-2008. I remember thinking at the time, I wouldn’t mind having a go on one of those.

When I acquired the Linear in 2020 my son remembered that, so it shows that random sightings can kindle interest a long time later. Curiously, I met that rider in another context after I’d been riding the Linear for a while.

A few years earlier I was riding a motorbike on Dalefords Lane between Sandiway and Whitegate when a bright yellow enclosed contraption, with just the rider’s head visible, whizzed by in the opposite direction. I immediately thought at the time, from its small size, “Pedal power! How cool is that!” I know now that it was a velomobile.

April 2020 while out on my touring bike heading towards Sandiway on Norley Road I spotted an unidentified tadpole trike and trailer as it turned off as I approached from the opposite direction. I was going downhill at the time, didn’t turn off and follow.

September 2020. While going uphill on the Linear, spotted an unidentified SWB recumbent bike going down in the opposite direction. The rider just had time to shout, “Hey! Another one!” before disappearing.

Summer of 2022 while taking the car for a wash I spotted a tadpole triker sitting at a town centre traffic lights with an inane grin on his face. I recognised that grin, being a recumbentist.

April 2023. On the Monsal Trail on a Brompton. Many walkers and cyclists about. Amongst them, coming the other way, someone on an unknown SWB recumbent bike, who flashed past in the opposite direction.

3 bikes, 3 trikes, one of which was a velomobile.

classic33

Leg End Member
Excluding the ones seen whilst trying others out, three in twenty years.

Big John

Guru
Haven't actually counted the number of times but over the years I've seen maybe two or three a year. I know very little about recumbents but I do know there are what I'd call 'normal' ones and those 'missile' shaped ones that look like a rocket. We saw a 'missile' when I used to do fast group rides with the club. Caught it on the GoPro ripping along and it took all of us doing through and off to catch it.

We see them from time to time around here. Apart from me there's another guy in the next village. His wife has a trike too but doesn't ride as much. Then there's anther guy I see occasionally but I think he lives elsewhere so I only see him when he fancies riding out this way. It is on a few cycle routes so we also see recumbent visitors on a longer tour.

I also saw a 2 wheeled speedster in a nearby town once too. A commuter who got off outside the fire station then went in.

Also, I see them in wheelbase awaiting a service and once an ice adventure HD I think with motor and numerous accessibility aids and extras being sold in a local used bike shop. High spec trike bought by a guy with mobility issues so he could continue cycling apparently, but unfortunately health deteriorated so he never really got to go out much on it. It was like new, immaculate and about 3 grand asking price.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've spotted them occasionally. They're certainly noticeable when you do see them.

Used to chat to a chap & his wife in Asda (I'd originally met him in a different context) and he moved to riding a recumbent when he had back problems. I never saw him riding it though. And I haven't shopped in Asda for a while so haven't had the chance to bump into them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One with a bike lives near Oban and I have seen him commuting. One trike last summer but overall could count then of the fingers of one hand.

Expect I could count them on one hand, and Reading isn't particularly hilly, so not sure why not seeing many more.

MikeG

Guru
Almost every week in the summer. And almost every week most of the year for a combination tandem, which has a normal bike at the back and a recumbent at the front.

rydabent

Veteran
Here in Lincoln Ne, you see them all the time. But anymore what you see is tadpole trikes. With all of their advantages, you see them all the time. BTW I have a RANS Stratus recumbent , and two trikes.

Top Bottom