How Many Recumbents Have You Actually Seen on the Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I used to irregularly see a recumbent on my commute, but haven't seen it since lockdown. The last one I can recall was a tandem hybrid travelling along the A49 when Covid restrictions were abandoned.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Seen a good few in London on my commute over the years, including a Velomobile every now and then.

Of course I also used to be a Recumberator but had to give it up. Although supremely comfy and fun to ride. Not so for one of my knees.

Last edited:
I've got a tadpole trike and a LWB back in Thailand, and they get a lot of regular use.
Over here, I occasionally ponder as to what, if any, recumbent would be suitable for the type of riding I do here.
As a rule, I'm drawn to the towpaths along the Thames and Kennet. A trike would be too wide I think. A LWB would be nice on some parts, but a bit unwieldy on others. A SWB might well be the Goldilocks choice, but having a high BB relative to the seat is something that I couldn't get used to, even after trying for several months back in Thailand.
Not completely ruling out the idea of going bent over here, but at the same time I see no real advantage to it.

Tom B

Guru
I see the same chap riding most weeks, he rides a mixture of semi rural and suburban.

I occasionally see a couple of others, sometimes riding with the first guy.

Mrs M

Guru
I’ve seen a couple up here but not recently.

presta

Guru
Very few.

There was a Geordie guy on a recumbent Morgan-style trike at Woody's Top YHA when I was there in 2005, and I saw the same guy again at Earby in 2011 when he was on a recumbent bike. He said he had about a dozen of them IIRC.

Very few.

There was a Geordie guy on a recumbent Morgan-style trike at Woody's Top YHA when I was there in 2005, and I saw the same guy again at Earby in 2011 when he was on a recumbent bike. He said he had about a dozen of them IIRC.

Two wheels up front is a tadpole trike, two at the back is a delta. That fella must have a big garage to store a dozen :ohmy:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I saw a few on the FNRttCs but there are absolutely none hereabouts in west London as far as I can tell. I don't have any problem cycling round Hyde Park Corner on a road bike in the rush hour but taking a 'bent into central London seems entirely bonkers to me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I saw a few on the FNRttCs but there are absolutely none hereabouts in west London as far as I can tell. I don't have any problem cycling round Hyde Park Corner on a road bike in the rush hour but taking a 'bent into central London seems entirely bonkers to me.

Mikey Van Erp and Andy Allsopp never seemed to have a problem.

I did one FNR on my bent when I had it. To Shoreham. I can't remember if you where on that rIde?

Last edited:
Top Bottom