Hats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I already have one of them, and I'll be wearing it tomorrow.
I have my Fathers, I think it
still has the stamp on the inside
from the army.

Have you read the reviews they put in with hat..... The one about the elephant keeper who kept getting it eaten... he retrieves it each time from the other end... washes it and wears it again.... iirc its happened about 5 times......

.... and Customer service is impressive.

Friend of mine had a seam come undone on an 8 year old hat, so sent it back. They repaired the old oe and returned it because of it's sentimentl value AND sent a replacement

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Back to O.P (slightly) does anyone think there is a market for a safety 'Bowler' a cycle helmet and Bowler combined for City Gents on Bromptons who want to wear a helmet but still look dapper.................................

Just wondering like........................ Wow............... I'm off to Dragon's den with that idea, just don't nick it before I can find backing

I could do with one with the 1916 Humber when I finally get it running. A modern helmet would just look ludicrous on it (although I suspect a tin helmet might looks just as daft).

Maybe I could get a red one like @vernon posted with the ears!! :giggle:

Cute-Round-Bowler-Hat-with-Ears-red-2.jpg

Wadda ya think??

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
Have to say, I notoriously don't give a monkey's what I wear, long as it's warm, comfortable and more or less fits ("You dress like a homeless person" - my heartless daughter), but I've never been without a panama since I bought my first 30-odd years ago. I don't wear it that often, but I couldn't get thru' a summer (let alone a summer including time abroad) without one.
Panamas are hardly homeless persons attire, at least not at the upper end of the scale. I have several fine weave hand-blocked Montecristi Panamas that are very pricey indeed.

I love high end Panama hats. Real works of woven art.

Jesus, you're not kidding!
View attachment 44126
Makes my Tilley look positively cheap..... and my mates go 'Hoooooooooowwwwwwww muccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh!' at the price of that..........................

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3061614, member: 9609"]But is there a purpose to them ? what is the band of dark material for and why the strange indentations in the top, aerodynamics or water collection ?[/QUOTE]
A 'purpose'? Barbarian! A hat is not a functional object, it is a declaration of magnificence.

hoopdriver

Guru
Jesus, you're not kidding!
View attachment 44126
They can cost a lot more than that.

The trouble with buying high end Montecristi Panamas is that there are really only a couple of hatters who deal in hats of that kind of quality and quite a few charlatans who put high price tags on not so finely woven Montecristi Panamas, and even Panamas that are not Montecristis at all, and describe them as "superfinos" etc. They can get away with this because very few people have ever seen really finely woven Montecristi Panamas as they are in fact quite rare. Not many are made and the few that are made, maybe only a few dozen a year, tend to end up in the hands of only a couple of hatters.

But these few are really beauties. The finest I have personally ever seen has over 3000 weaves per square inch and cost $25,000. I am aware of a hat that has nearly 4000 weaves per square inch, quite probably the finest ever woven. At this end of the scale they are more like works of art than anything you put on your head!

My finest has about 1000 weaves per square inch.

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
[QUOTE 3061614, member: 9609"]But is there a purpose to them ? what is the band of dark material for and why the strange indentations in the top, aerodynamics or water collection ?[/QUOTE]
Why does any hat have a ribbon? Looks and styling. The traditional black band on a Panama supposedly dates from the death of Queen Victoria and a note of mourning. That's the story anyway. As good as any I guess. Panamas can and do have ribbons in other colours.

The dimples on the crown of a fedora are, again, styling. Not all Panamas are styled as fedoras, by the way. There are many different styles. My personal favourite is the Optimo, which is the original style of Panama dating back to the early to mid-19th century

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What about these Danish creations? (I have always vaguely thought about getting the 'Paris Black Oilskin' one complete with ear warmers for winter, pictured below):

image.jpg

http://www.yakkay.com/Webshop/

No Bowlers' or anything else discussed though, but you can change the helmet covers around to get a different look without getting a new helmet each time, so maybe they will do one in the future.

The above are cycling helmets, although, actually, I'm sure you can get just about anything when it comes to Horse Riding helmets, but some might just be a little bit bulky!

Last edited:
Top Bottom