Have a look at this!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rikki

Legendary Member
It's obviously for a rower (at the back).

We are only happy slogging our guts out going backwards fast.

Makes it easy to keep an eye on traffic approaching from behind.

PrettyboyTim

If I was the stoker on that bike, I think I'd rather have a recumbent posture. Although it would worryingly put my head within farting distance of the Captain...

I encountered a similar tandem twenty years ago at a BHPVA event at Eastway. Twas a front to front, supposedly more aero because the front riders beehind 'broke the wind' so to speak. The captain peered over the stokers back. It was too too queer. The HPVers were jolly polite but we were all thinking it was dumb. Broken pelvis anyone?

Arch

Married to Night Train
andy_wrx said:
We went to Tandemania in 1997 (the day before BIL's wedding, s'how I remember...) and there was a recumbent tandem with the riders back-to-back.
And they entered it in the off-road race ! (even if they didn't get very far...)

Yeah, I've ridden on that. Old hat mate, old hat...;)

I seem to remember the builder and his missus rode it across America or something like that. It suited me as a tandem, looking backwards as a stoker, because I get too nervous if I can see forward. I just relaxed and pedalled...

Arch

Married to Night Train
andy_wrx said:
We went to Tandemania in 1997 (the day before BIL's wedding, s'how I remember...) and there was a recumbent tandem with the riders back-to-back.
And they entered it in the off-road race ! (even if they didn't get very far...)

Yeah, I've ridden on that. Old hat mate, old hat...:blush:

I seem to remember the builder and his missus rode it across America or something like that. It suited me as a tandem, looking backwards as a stoker, because I get too nervous if I can see forward. I just relaxed and pedalled...

What's it like being able to see traffic coming up behind, then dithering about trying to overtake ?

Or does following traffic give you more room if there's someone staring back at them ?

NickM

Veteran
I can't make it out in the video, but presumably the rear rider's chain needs to do a figure of eight if he is to be adding to the motive force while pedalling "forwards"? That's what happens on most back-to-back recumbent tandems, anyway.

If you had been at Cyclevision 2006, you could have seen the (all female) back-to-back recumbent rowing tandem crew in action!

NickM

Veteran
I can't make it out in the video, but presumably the rear rider's chain needs to do a figure of eight if he is to be adding to the motive force while pedalling "forwards"? That's what happens on most back-to-back recumbent tandems, anyway.

If you had been at Cyclevision 2006, you could have seen the (all female) back-to-back recumbent rowing tandem crew in action!

Arch

Married to Night Train
andy_wrx said:
What's it like being able to see traffic coming up behind, then dithering about trying to overtake ?

Or does following traffic give you more room if there's someone staring back at them ?

I only rode it around a private driveway, but I've heard that being able to eyeball drivers and either give them a big grin or a stern glare, works wonders...

Top Bottom