Have I done the right thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vidgeon

vidgeon

In case you didn't know Claud Butler is a very auspicious name in cycling so you might get some people on much older models having something in common with your mount and striking up a conversation. Some info here: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/claudbutler.html

the man in the cycle shop mentioned that this make used to be manufactured in Lincoln (not anymore) and this did influence my decision

Ganymede

Veteran
seems like gobbledygook to me at the moment, hope it becomes clearer when the bike arrives
It will! Actually I found, having read stuff about using gears, that I'd been doing the right thing all along by instinct, ie using the big ones on the left as the main changes and then tweak about with the right hand ones. You'll do most of your cycling with the number "2" appearing by your left hand - certainly to begin with!

"Cadence" is a training buzzword which basically means how fast your pedals are going round. If you're pedalling really fast you could probably go up a few notches on the righthand gear. If you're puffing away with the pedals going round slowly, change down! - soon you will be doing it exactly as it suits you.

When you change gear, keep turning the pedals but don't grind them - slightly "soft pedal" for a moment as you pull/push the lever or twist the gear change. If you're grinding up a hill and change without soft-pedalling, your chain can come off (easily put back, but oil all over your hands!).

Your bike shop people will show you!

OP
OP
vidgeon

vidgeon

It will! Actually I found, having read stuff about using gears, that I'd been doing the right thing all along by instinct, ie using the big ones on the left as the main changes and then tweak about with the right hand ones. You'll do most of your cycling with the number "2" appearing by your left hand - certainly to begin with!

"Cadence" is a training buzzword which basically means how fast your pedals are going round. If you're pedalling really fast you could probably go up a few notches on the righthand gear. If you're puffing away with the pedals going round slowly, change down! - soon you will be doing it exactly as it suits you.

When you change gear, keep turning the pedals but don't grind them - slightly "soft pedal" for a moment as you pull/push the lever or twist the gear change. If you're grinding up a hill and change without soft-pedalling, your chain can come off (easily put back, but oil all over your hands!).

Your bike shop people will show you!
thank you! you have explained it in a way I can understand

OP
OP
vidgeon

vidgeon

Cycling has given me a different perspective, I'm enjoying finding my way round the cycle path networks ... many next to waterways. Google maps help as you don't notice them when you are driving. But now I have some new bugbears

1. ducks! especially where they expect to get fed
2. pedestrians! blocking the paths
3. cars! parked across the path

sidevalve

Über Member
[QUOTE 3213321, member: 259"]
  1. slow down and go round them
  2. slow down and go round them
  3. slow down and rip their wing mirrors off.
[/QUOTE]
Er sorry but what paths are these ? If shared cycle paths then 1 and 2 are fine but I find a polite "excuse me" seems to work well also, but be careful if any are foot paths then sorry it's you who are in the wrong and [whatever some may try to say] you should not be there [remember bridleways are fine though and often prettier].
As for 3 does this mean that the next time I find a cycle parked on the footpath I am at liberty to put a foot through the front wheel or slash the saddle ? Report to the police - don't add to the ever increasing pool of "cyclist hatred".
As for the OP - well I'm 57 and 3/4 [OK male but I don't see that makes any difference] and I'm back riding after a looong gap, the more the merrier [we'll show these kids how it's REALLY done] !

Top Bottom