Have I done the right thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Who in their right mind would want to live, even temporarily, in Saudi Arabia?

There's a reason why the salary and allowances are generous...

Also, some us, just by virute of our chromosomes, might have trouble with the place... One of our professors is working on a project out there, and gave us a talk on it, and how great it was, and had to end up saying "Of course, if you're a woman, I have to say you're a relative to get you a job with me...". I think I'd rather not bother, thanks...

Andy, I'm with the money's no big deal crowd - although I realise that this lofty stance may be coloured by the fact that I've never had all that much, or indeed, not enough. I'd rather be close to the people I care about, than raking it in.

NickM said:

There's a reason why the salary and allowances are generous...
I don't know how much it has changed since we were there (I was only 8 when we left btw) but Mum wasn't allowed to drive, alcohol was a definite no-no and I suspect that Mum wouldn't have been able to move freely outside of our ex-pat compound if she'd wanted to.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
NickM said:

Now what do you know about the country and the people? It's not like Laurence of Arabia! My last contract there was 12 years ago so all info is about 12 years old. The empty quarter is just that - empty! No roads, just rolling sand dunes although in the 80s & 90s, the Otaibi tribe lived just off the Taif-Riyadh highway and used to commit highway robberies. RSAF, Taif used to scramble F5's and Tornados to try and find their camps but were never successful. In the east, the three towns of Damman, al Khobar and Dhahran (DKD) - modern cities, lovely beaches and scuba diving not far away. Bahrain is only a short drive away over the causeway.
The Asir region in the west with its wonderful climate, lovely cycling country. Jeddah and Riyadh are not that far away.
No alcohol? Perhaps you have not been looking in the right place! No pork or bacon? It's available! In fact anything is available - just do not get caught!
The people - the same as everywhere, there are good and bad but I have always found then friendly and very hospitable.
There are restrictions on women - no driving and, in some places, having to wear the abeya (long, black robe) but no head covering. My ex and two of my daughters used to wear either just underwear under the abeya or jeans & T-shirt as did most western women.
Would I go back out there? If age was not aginst me - yes!

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr_hippo said:
There are restrictions on women - no driving and, in some places, having to wear the abeya (long, black robe) but no head covering. My ex and two of my daughters used to wear either just underwear under the abeya or jeans & T-shirt as did most western women.

oh well then, as long as you can get booze and bacon, who cares about women not being allowed to drive, eh?:angry:

NickM

Veteran
mr_hippo said:
Well this might come as a surprise to you, but some western men prefer that the women with whom they share their lives not be subject to some ludicrous mediaeval dress code.

mr_hippo said:
No alcohol? Perhaps you have not been looking in the right place! No pork or bacon? It's available! In fact anything is available - just do not get caught!
Because if you do, you'll be in a Saudi jail for years! Like a friend of my family was! How jolly!

Top Bottom