have I missed something?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
With no sponsor I believe that the Discovery Team as it was known simply disbanded and no licence was issued for 2008.

UCI are only listing 18 Pro Tour Teams on their site.

monnet

Guru
I don't think anyone has taken over the licence. Possibly because normally when a sponsor pulls out the management have/ start looking for a new sponsor. In Disco's case the sporting management obviously jumped ship to Astana so there seemed little point in hunting down a sponsor when the main draw (big name DS and all his main riders) had gone elsewhere.

'rolled over' ?? Hardly.

They put in a huge amount of effort, lots of meetings and presentations, lots of airmiles around the globe, even took a team to Qinghai Lakes, but despite everything they still couldn't find a sponsor.

It was widely reported that they wanted a huge amount of money ($15M over 3 years IIRC) and the sort of sponsor willing to put that in was put-off by cycling's drug-associated bad PR, particularly with a team which was making very little anti-drugs effort.

Bruyneel came-out with some face-saving tripe about not wanting to continue, it being time to bow-out of cycling, then the next thing we know he's popped-up at Astana !

Top Bottom