Have you ever hit someone on your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
I agree with swee'pea99, I'm afraid. If the following had been said by a car driver just before he/she hit a schoolchild, everyone on here would be scandalised.
Yes, your opinion is valid, I have not posted this for everyone to feel sorry for me or say it wasn't my fault (the police already did that) and I've already said that it could have been avoided - just about everything bad that's ever happened could be in one we or another.. Then on the other hand if I were driving a car the whole group of schoolkids would have been hit much harder. It would take a very long post and probably questions asked to me before anyone would get the full picture on this forum. I'm sure at some point everybody has taken their eyes off the road for a few seconds, I didn't in this instance, but for a short time I was looking only just ahead of me... I guess also the fact that (as said questions, not all factors come straight to mind, I was asking what others had /hadn't hit) the bridge has a cycle lane I was in that starts and ends 10m either side of bridge(approximately, it's one of those stupid ones) that I had to exit (luckily not much traffic as said) in order to miss all the others.. Any more and I'd have hit the car coming the other way - it was my left bar end and brake I hit him with..

Anyway, all are welcome to opinions and comments, I won't moan at you for having them - I'll take your answer as no, you've never hit anyone..

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
One day last year I was filtering up to the lights when a fella steps out between the cars and I go straight into him. I managed not to come off and he didn't go down but I hit him with a right thump. He was very apologetic (as was I) and we both went on our way. I bet he had a bloody sore leg the next day.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
Just recently I was clattered by a pedestrian who ran out from behind a parked car. As I was preparing to turn right, I was out in the middle of the road, but he was running fast and had obviously not seen me. Had a nice black eye develop over the next few days caused by my glasses hitting the bone at the end of my eyebrow.
Yeah, the damage isn't noticed straight away, I felt fine at the time and assumed it was all taken by my rucksack and the smashed lunchbox inside - a bath later on made me realise how much Road rash I had haha. And the copper who took my statement and drove me home afterwards saw me hobbling around asda 2 days afterwards with 2 of my 3 kids had a nice chat with me about he was surprised I wasn't hobbling before..

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have got close to hitting a few cyclists using mobile phones. They ride all over the place. I dont think using the phone to talk when riding is that bad. But they all appear to be texting.

On the same note. I was driving the car the other day when a young man walked straight into the road in front of me. Eyes glued to his mobile phone. According to him, it was all my fault until I pointed out that if I had not been observant, he would be laying under my car,

Years ago when I lived in Dublin I went to a mates who lived down Ranelagh Rd (for anyone who knows it). The road has massive traffic jams and cycle lanes down the side of it. Luckily that triggered me to be cautious but about half way down the road a jogger squeezed through a small gap between two lorries on my right and straight in to my path. It was too late to avoid him but it was only a gentle tap and we were both apologetic to each other.

humboldt

Luckily not yet. Every time I overtake a London stationary double-decker in London traffic, I'm acutely aware that somebody could step out into my path. I don't think that either of us would come off well from the collision, and I don't ride quickly.
I almost hit a couple of schoolgirls on Highbury Park while overtaking a bus last year; they walked in front of it, peered out, screamed like banshees and decided to run straight into my path when they saw me bearing down on them, but luckily I'd had a sort of spider-sense tingle as I was moving around the bus and had been hovering on the brakes and waiting for something to happen. I was in a cold sweat for the rest of the way to work though.

riding on a cyclepath yesterday I was approaching a group of students. The incessant dinging of my bell made no difference as the attraction of the smart phone screen is strong. Eventually I bellowed "look up" caused them all to shudder to attention.

U

User33236

No but its only a matter of time before a phone zombie or a distracted tourist walks out in front of me.

I hit a police officer once, he crossed the road into my path.

I was overtaking a bloke on a bike so I think he'd just not seen me properly.

Stab vests are great for hanging onto!

All was well, he kept checking I was alright, that the bike wasn't damaged, asked if I needed his badge number etc, everything seemed fine so I declined and said I felt there was no need to report etc and it was up to him if he said anything.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm amazed I've not hit a weekend roadie the way some of them wobble about like a one legged cat burying a jobbie on a frozen pond. I've seen kamikaze pilots with better road craft skills than some of them.

Top Bottom