Have you gone cashless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've got a pound coin in my pocket for the Tesco trolley.

On Saturday I went into Bolton town centre for the first time in ages, parking up behind the town hall I wondered if the parking machines would still be in operation. At the edge of the road there's a sign saying that parking is free, but I need to use the machine.

Over I go to the machine, and sure enough the sign on it says that parking is free, but I still have to put my reg number in to display a ticket, where's the logic in that?
They plan on charging you later.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Still use a bit of cash, not as much as before lockdown.

Keep cash in the wallet for emergencies but can't recall using it for the longest time ever. In fact haven't even pulled out the card, its all phone connected to bankcards.

How times have changed with cashiers and even small business owners frowning when the odd adult customer uses cash but noticeably smile when its a kid or pensioner.

Instant and Online payments to pay bills, order stuff or do transfers to loved ones are probably in my view the best improvement in life. No need to keep paper receipts, a history of payments online makes a huge differences.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought spud pie (home/shop made,not Hollands👍) and mushy peas (no gravy needed as the peas are always nice and sloppy) from a local pie and cake shop the other day. There's something odd about buying such a delicacy,yet also a working chaps food,on a bank card,so when i looked into my purse to find the required £2.50 i found only £1.97. I asked the shopkeeper to keep them warm while i went to the nearest cash point. Buying pie and peas on a bank card just isn't right!!🧐

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My local shop has gone cashless by upgrading to these new fancy machines.

Does anyone under 35 remember these?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

View attachment 574037
when british rail had the genius idea of closing ticket offices to save money, a free ride could be had if a credit card was proffered as payment as the guard had to go back to the van to get the card device and invariably wasn’t paid enough to be arsed.

i’ve actually used one of those as recently as 3 years ago. one of the book people used to come to my place of work and there was no wifi or cellular signal where he had to set up, so used the old school method…

johnblack

Über Member
I still use cash, not as much, but I quite enjoy some of the faces pulled. I collected some lotto winnings the other day in Waitrose, given in cash, did a bit of shopping in there, which I then went and paid for with the winnings, the cats bum mouth pulled by the young cashier was wonderful to behold.

A few months ago at a small shop in a village near me a young girl of about 15-16 wanted to pay for some chocolates she had bought with a fiver. The chap behind the counter refused, even though the sign said they "preferred" cards. She had ridden ten miles on an old steel horse and the chocolate was a present for her friends birthday who she hadn't seen for a while. I was behind in the queue and paid for her, it is now a shop on my blacklist.

byegad

Legendary Member

View attachment 574037
I had a witless moron bend my card double when paying for fuel while on holiday with one of those. Fortunately I had two others to use for the rest of the stay.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I had a witless moron bend my card double when paying for fuel while on holiday with one of those. Fortunately I had two others to use for the rest of the stay.

It's a good idea to have more than one card. I'm often surprised by how many people only have one account and one card and when they lose that one or it ceases to work, the upheaval it brings to their lives.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am finding it harder and harder paying bills in cash at banks and post office. I do not like the automated system at all and Covid is making it more difficult still. Similarly at automated tills I won't use them. When all the humans are dead then I will work with the computers until then I will do my best to avoid them as much as possible.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A lot of older people don't understand or trust electronic payments and rely solely on cash. They are increasingly worse off due to better products/services available online (which they eschew).

I often buy things for my parents online to get the best deal and they pay me in cash. Not everyone has family that can do this for them.

Top Bottom