Have you noticed? It's 5 pm and still light!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If it stopped bloody raining here I could tell whether it's day or night .....

Sunset was 16:48 here in Cheshire today.

Untitled.jpg

Darkness is another matter entirely.
Civil Twilight was at 17:26 today and technically Astronomical Twilight hasn't even started yet!

Civil twilight: Morning civil twilight starts when the geometric centre of the sun is 6° below the horizon. Evening civil twilight begins at sunset and ends when the centre of the sun reaches 6° below the horizon. The evening civil twilight is otherwise known as dusk. This is when the brightest stars will be visible under normal atmospheric conditions

Nautical Twilight: Ahoy, mates! Nautical twilight is the time when the centre of the sun is between 6° and 12° below the horizon. During nautical twilight the illumination is such that the horizon is still visible even on a Moonless night, allowing mariners to take reliable star sights for navigational purposes, hence the name. At the beginning or end of nautical twilight, under good atmospheric conditions, vague outlines of ground objects may be distinguishable, but details are not likely.

Astronomical Twilight: Darker than civil or nautical, astronomical twilight occurs when the center of the sun is a full 18 degrees below the horizon. As its name suggests, this twilight period is of most interest to astronomers. There is no color in the sky during astronomical twilight.
http://www.digital-photo-secrets.co...een-civil-nautical-and-astronomical-twilight/

mattobrien

Guru
Living in the East of the country we experience sunrise and sunset earlier than our more westerly CCers.

I did check the potential of earlier light in Sunday morning, but it was still dark at 6am and didn't get light until we stopped to answer natures call a good 18 or so miles in.

A bit if dark won't stop me cycling early and it was beautiful to be cycling towards the sunrise. Reminded me of the Dynamo, only colder...

musa

Über Member
sunset is getting later and later tomorrow is 16.49pm so 5pm sunset in a week or so times (london that is)

Breedon

Legendary Member
Enjoying the rides home in daylight means I can avoid them bloody pot holes sooner, and my average speed is climbing ^_^

Leaving work on Friday night at 5pm, I noted that it wasn't quite fully dark yet. Nice to see it, but it won't help me this week, as I am working till 7 every night.......

Justiffa

Here its sunny :sun:(with periods of rain :rain:) from 7am to 7pm plus/minus a couple of mins.... no snow so no snowman, no snow fights, no skating, no skiing :cry: we hafta fly almost halfway across the globe to get cold :cold:

Top Bottom