Have you seen an improvement lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've been commuting on more or less the same route for 30 years (SE London to the City)
I think it has improved slightly, more traffic, more bikes, better drivers, better cyclists
I know a decade ago I used to go through a set of brake blocks every 500 miles with all the emergency stops, nowadays they last a lot longer, maybe the rubber is better, maybe I'm slower.

I dont know if it is just me but I have seen a real improvement in the standards of driving lately. I am getting less close passes and less people trying silly manouvres. Either driving is improving, or my tolerance is improving.
I am glad of it though as I can get on with my cycling and concentrate on my priorities more (Strava).

or have you learned to just enjoy the ride.......

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
We all encounter idiotic, irresponsible and dangerous drivers and there are plenty of them. We all get wound up and probably, rightly so. Let's not lose sight of the fact that for every 1 moron you encounter whilst cycling, you will have encountered 30 or 40 (possibly more) decent right minded drivers. They (we) deserve a mention too
Thats why I upload regular 'Patient drivers' videos.

Jdratcliffe

I do get a lot more impatience from drivers when I'm riding into a headwind than on a normal day (and thus going a lot slower). It's the main reason I hate headwinds, really. Destroys my road confidence.
agree as its so hard and they ( car drivers) have no idea how much extra effort is needed with a headwind!

Davidsw8

In 1998, I started cycling the 10 miles (give or take) from Wimbledon to Whitehall to work, I used to head towards Wandsworth, through Chelsea Harbour, along the Embankment and Millbank then around Parliament Square. Of all the times I cycled, I remember one incident when a black cab got too close to me going round Parliament Square. I appreciate, there may have been other incidents I've since forgotten but I really don't believe there was anything of any significance.

I had a break from cycling for a good few years due to changing jobs/homes, then 2 years ago I went back to it and it feels like there's 'something' every single trip. It's got to be mostly down to the huge increase in traffic and the population in the last 15 years but I also think people have become a lot more aggressive.

There may have been a very recent blip of an improvement, not sure. But overall, it's a lot worse than it was.

tadpole

In the last year, since my town of Bristol has tried and failed to become a "cycling friendly" city, I've noticed that my commutes have become more fraught with real danger, and when I stop to think that even at 0530hrs cars are being driven at me or too close to me, I wonder what the hell it is like at a more reasonable time.
I now take a 2 mile detour each way to avoid roads. It also has the benefit of me getting home more relaxed, and not much later than I'd be on the main roads. 3 big RAB and 6 sets of lights that just do not see cyclist.

Davidc

Guru
It goes up and down, and sometimes there's really scary behaviour from drivers.

BUT compared to the second half of the 1980s and the 1990s it's all sweetness and light out there.

Wouldn't it be lovely if it was like the Netherlands? I'll be back riding there later this year (I hope) and can confidently predict that it'll take me 4 weeks to get back used to the UK after 2 1/2 weeks there.

markharry66

Über Member
Only when question to Matthew before I respond to your topic question I need to consider if you have been on the road recently. Then I can reply :smile:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Only when question to Matthew before I respond to your topic question I need to consider if you have been on the road recently. Then I can reply :smile:
I am always on the road. Pretty much everyday. I go to work and college in peak times and have still seen an improvement. And I dont think it is down to my cycling because I havent changed anything, or my attitude.

markharry66

Über Member
Then it has to be said given you last comment and that you are still active. The answer has be a resounding NO

johnnyh

Veteran
In general I think the standard of driving on my commute (15 miles on mainly B roads into Bath) has improved, I get more space, less impatient drivers.... but it only takes 1, and that 1 is out there at least once a week. :sad:

Top Bottom