Have you seen an improvement lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I dont know if it is just me but I have seen a real improvement in the standards of driving lately. I am getting less close passes and less people trying silly manouvres. Either driving is improving, or my tolerance is improving.
I am glad of it though as I can get on with my cycling and concentrate on my priorities more (Strava).

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have not noticed any improvement in drivers, it could be your tolerance of the situation is improving, but don't get to cocky.^_^

Dmcd33

It's hard to say, but I have noticed that I have had little or no conflict with impatient drivers lately. There will always be minor incidents, but I also have that when driving.

People still think indicators are an optional extra though, or that using them after you turn is also helpful to - other cars, pedestrians, cyclist.....

RedRider

Pulling through
What Derrick says. As an aside, I think confidence has an important bearing on one's perception of dangerous passes and so on. I've gained a little insight having had sciatica and reduced strength in my right leg these last few weeks. I've rarely consciously perceived danger before but my relative lack of acceleration has dented confidence in my ability to control things/get out of trouble in the event/take confident primary as appropriate and I've been feeling somewhat bullied on occasion. It's been interesting.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
More confidence of pulling out from a defensive position is here,especially when it is needed to prevent a close pass.

It's hard to say, but I have noticed that I have had little or no conflict with impatient drivers lately. There will always be minor incidents, but I also have that when driving.

People still think indicators are an optional extra though, or that using them after you turn is also helpful to - other cars, pedestrians, cyclist.....

The art of using indicators seems to have gone right down the toilet.

I've seen very little change over the past several decades. I think things are generally better now (21st Century) than they were 'then' (1970s and 80s).

Speed cameras make a positive difference, as does the more-stringent MOT. There are fewer wrecks on the road and fewer drivers who seem never to have been taught to drive.

On the negative side, traffic volumes are higher and there may be a greater reliance on ABS and similar technologies, resulting perhaps in more risks being taken. I also (as a driver and cyclist) fear the greater numbers of LHD HGVs one sees these days. They are an inevitable consequence of our eccentric island status and driving rules which have a Citroen-like joy in difference, but I find they can be a menace and a source of fear. There is also a degree to which 'teenage driving' is now seen in men (usually men) in the thirties, forties and fifties. WHen I was a lad, very few adult males felt the need for that Subaru-Chavtastic driving style one often sees today. There seemed to be more dignity in adulthood. Now, everybody wants to be John Terry or a tattooed cage fighter until they are fifty - and the attitude comes onto the road with them.. sorry, where did I put my pipe?

I may also now know a little more about traffic flow and behaviour in traffic, so that might make me feel 'safer' in genral.

I confess to not being greatly moved by many of the 'outrages' that some headcammers bleat about. The OP has been riding for less than a decade and this is a very short space of time in which to notice change. I imagine it was never as bad as he thought it was and is not now as good as he thinks it is. It's just OK, which is pretty much what it always has been.

crazyjoe101

Where I am seems to be having a rough spell. More close passes, cut ups, engine revs, evil stares, undertakes and even one guy trying to push me out of primary by what looked to be an attempt at half wheeling (he was in a car). I must strap that camera back to my helmet... But anyway I'm sure it's just that I'm more aware of the danger as others have said after nearly having a little crash into the front of a car.

paul04

Über Member
It's funny how 1 car can pass giving you plenty of room, and the next one will pass you with a inch to spare

Like Frood42 said, there are good days, and there are bad days

Kookas

Über Member
What Derrick says. As an aside, I think confidence has an important bearing on one's perception of dangerous passes and so on. I've gained a little insight having had sciatica and reduced strength in my right leg these last few weeks. I've rarely consciously perceived danger before but my relative lack of acceleration has dented confidence in my ability to control things/get out of trouble in the event/take confident primary as appropriate and I've been feeling somewhat bullied on occasion. It's been interesting.

I do get a lot more impatience from drivers when I'm riding into a headwind than on a normal day (and thus going a lot slower). It's the main reason I hate headwinds, really. Destroys my road confidence.

nappadang

Über Member
We all encounter idiotic, irresponsible and dangerous drivers and there are plenty of them. We all get wound up and probably, rightly so. Let's not lose sight of the fact that for every 1 moron you encounter whilst cycling, you will have encountered 30 or 40 (possibly more) decent right minded drivers. They (we) deserve a mention too

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm in a way lucky, I commute out of Coventry into Nuneaton and driving standards aren't too bad, if I was crossing Coventry twice a day, as I used to, I'd see a lower standard of driving. like Boris Bajic I've been cycling a long time, the biggest changes I see are higher traffic volumes, more impatience and less care.

Top Bottom