Have you visited a bicycle museum ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Driven past the one in your town many times but never stopped. Is it worth it?

Sharky

Guru
Went to the British Cycle Museum in Cornwall. Must have been about 1990 and I gather it has now been closed down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/uncovered/bikes.shtml

All very quaint and crammed with old bikes and some modern ones. Shame its gone.
Keith

museum_1.jpg
museum_3.jpg
museum_4.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I see the OP is from Llandrindod! The problem, for me, with the museum, is that it's in Llandrindod - which is a nice town but fabulously inaccessible. On the few occasions that I am there (which is usually for CTC meetings), the train options are so limited that there is no possibility of hanging round and looking at things, especially if the opening times are limited. This is no reflection on the museum itself, which might well be wonderful!

snorri

Legendary Member
Went to the British Cycle Museum in Cornwall.
Ditto, I think it was in '97:smile:.
It was a while ago, but it made an enjoyable break from the hills of Cornwall on what turned out to be a LEJOG.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Knutsford has the penny farthing collection which is displayed at a cafe in the centre of town. Every ten years there is a penny farthing race by the mere which is taken pretty seriously with competitors from all over the world. Next one is six years away. Can't wait. The last one was a great spectacle. ^_^

Durian

Über Member
Over here we have The Hub bicycle museum which is in Chiang Khong a small town on the banks of the Mekong River opposite Laos. It's owned by Alan Bate who is the fastest man to cycle around the world. The museum also has an attached bar where a lot of serious drinking is done including Alan's homemade hooch that is reminiscent of paint stripper. If anyone intends to cycle this way in the future make sure you don't miss this place!

Mile195

Veteran
Also done the Cycling museum in Cornwall. Came across it by accident having been to Delabole to look at the windfarm.

Best £3.00 I ever spent. Was probably in there about 3 hours. It's in an old station building that isn't very big, but they've packed floor to ceiling with exhibits. Amazing how much they've got in to such a small space.

Top Bottom