Haven't cycled in 17 years and now bought a new road bike, yikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
As the title says, I haven't been on a bike since I was 15 (I'm 32 now) and that was an old MTB that I went no more than 5 miles at a time on. Now, in an effort to get fitter I have decided to go the whole hog and get a road bike to go out on proper rides, even if it is by myself for the first few months. I was sick of the feeling of dragging myself to the gym just to burn off calories and maintain my current weight as I like to have a few beers and a takeaway at the weekend with my fiancee. I had the mad thought that seeing the countryside on a bike while staying fit would be a no lose situation but since then I've become a bit worried about falling off or being hit by a dodgy driver! I bought a Specialized Secteur 2013 last weekend from a local bike shop and am picking it up tomorrow morning. I bought all the essential kit like a decent helmet, shorts and top but am wondering if I need anything else, like a proper pair of cycling shoes? I will have more questions after tomorrow but hopefully I don't fall off the thing on my first ride. Wish me luck.

aberal

Veteran
Good luck...^_^ I guarantee that you will never regret this. And yes - buy the shoes. SPD is essential.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi Rich and :welcome: :smile:

I wouldn't worry about shoes yet, just ride in some reasonably stiff ones. As for the worry, getting on a twitchy road bike for the first time will have that effect, but you'll soon get more confident.

If you can, find a nice quiet road or car park where you can practice signalling and looking behind you, and remember to build up gently :smile:

...but am wondering if I need anything else, like a proper pair of cycling shoes?
Good Luck.

Yes, SPD shoes/pedals will become must have items. As well as: GPS + Strava a/c, glasses, multi tool, mini pump, CO2 cannisters, bib shorts, SS and LS jerseys, electrolyte replacement drinks, track pump, work stand, bike workshop type area....

Enjoy your ride tomorrow. The expense has just begun! :thumbsup:

sittingbull

Veteran
:welcome: Rich, carry the basics at first, repair kit/inner tube, tyre levers and pump. Enjoy the new bike.

Cycling shoes are more efficient than trainers but don't go clipless until you're really confident on the bike.

Broadside

Guru
Hi Rich, it is indeed a no lose situation exploring beautiful countryside while getting fitter and leaner, it's why I love cycling so much.

Good choice of bike BTW, I got the same model in 2009 and I am still loving mine, they are perfect for soaking up long days in the saddle.

defy-one

Win win win mate. I started cycling in June this year after 15 odd years. Get the spd sl pedals cleats and shoes. They take a bit of getting used to,but i wouldn't use my best bike without them now.
I've lost 16 lbs since taking up the hobby. Watching what i eat a bit,but still enjoying a takeaway or beer once a week

sidevalve

Über Member
I had a break of 35 years and still find riding as much fun as ever. I wouldn't worry too much about the shoes etc at first, you'll soon discover what suits you best and what you really want, then buy the kit as you need it. I would get a track pump though [even a cheap one will do the job] as it's a hell of a task keeping the tyres up without one.

Peteaud

Veteran
Good Luck.

Yes, SPD shoes/pedals will become must have items. As well as: GPS + Strava a/c, glasses, multi tool, mini pump, CO2 cannisters, bib shorts, SS and LS jerseys, electrolyte replacement drinks, track pump, work stand, bike workshop type area....

Enjoy your ride tomorrow. The expense has just begun! :thumbsup:

Then on week 2 ....... :laugh:

Get stuff as you need it, and enjoy it.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Welcome along to cc, get the essentials first always carry ,tube ,levers and a serviceable pump,
You will experiment with hydration and food as your days in the saddle get longer,any other kit read a few reviews,
As long as you have a pair of padded shorts you will enjoy your rides
Good luck

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice and tips from everyone. I have now been on my first ride which was 21 miles and took 1hr 20 mins. I bought a Sigma bc 1009 computer so I will be able to see if I can improve on that in the future. I have to say that I was literally petrified to go out on the road in the beginning as I had just learnt how to use the gears and the feeling of being on a road bike was completely alien to me. After a mile or two I calmed down and just took it in my strde, staying on main roads and not venturing into areas of high traffic. I can now say that I've totally got the bug and will be doing varying lengths of rides in future. I will also need to see the bank about a loan as I wat to get spd shoes and pedals! One thing that isnt as pleasant is a sore arse at the end of it lol.

Top Bottom