Havering CTC Upminster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Evening, anyone here go on the sunday rides with the above group? Ive just noticed on the website that first sunday of the month is for newbies like myself,love to give it a go, i got some info last year about it but since fell out and back in with cycling
Vinny

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ah, someone from my old stamping ground.

I've never been out with the CTC but knew lots of them over the years and they have a reputation for being friendly and welcoming. They are mostly lifelong cyclists who are not given to proving how macho they are by leaving new riders struggling in their wake before abandoning them in the middle of nowhere. Go for it.

Toeclip

Guru
The Havering are a small but friendly group, this Sunday I don`t think there`s an newbe ride as it the Essex CTC rough-stuff event, but you can check it if you contact their Secretary Stephen Ingall at: ctchavering@mail.com
By the way I rode with the Havering for over 24 years, these days I ride on my own but occasionally meet them at Upminster or at their lunch stop.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
have you tried http://www.hornchurchcc.com/

Hornchurch cycle club formed april this year,we currently have 60 plus members...we meet at the mecca bingo car park in the high street .
Main club ride is sunday mornings currently 7.30 start distances between 30 and 50 miles..also beginners meet on saturdays for a 10 mile loop ride.

The club has a facebook and a twitter account and a real mix of abilities and very sociable guys and girls.

eezytiger

I just stumbled across this thread so I thought I'd post. I joined Havering CTC last September on their beginner ride - about 22 miles in total out to Blackmore Tea Rooms and back. I enjoyed the ride and have become a full time member since, riding most weekends and now starting to lead some rides for Havering. The group is slowly increasing numbers and more are always welcome. We have a new website now. Please take a look.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups/havering

Toeclip

Guru
Hi Rafferty, I started riding with the Havering in 1985, and left the group in 2010 but still keep in touch with them, mostly via their Facebook page where I post photo from the old days! Do you remember John Copas? We sadly lost him last year to cancer. Tony Parkins? Now in a care home, I saw Tony last year.

Rafferty

Hi Rafferty, I started riding with the Havering in 1985, and left the group in 2010 but still keep in touch with them, mostly via their Facebook page where I post photo from the old days! Do you remember John Copas? We sadly lost him last year to cancer. Tony Parkins? Now in a care home, I saw Tony last year.

Yes, I remember John 'Captain' Copas. He used to ride single speed a lot of the time. Tony Parkins introduced me to the club. I also remember John Gill, Brian Phipps, Imogen Thurston, Sue Besford, Geoff Lovering and a few others.

Toeclip

Guru
Yes I rode with them all too, Geoff died some years ago now, John Gill was a Runs Sec for awhile when he left I took on the post and later became the Section Sec for far too many years! Don`t know what happen to Imogen but Sue and Brian moved up North many years ago I think they have two children.

Toeclip

Guru
Hi eezytiger, we have never met but I`m sure you know of me if you ride regularly with the Havering. As for Dave Rowlands I think your find Kelvin Dane was a member before our Dave. Yes Dave a very good leader, I taught him well.

eezytiger

Sure, I know Kelvin, but I don't have a timeline for when people joined.

If my sleuthing skills are serving me, we have never met, but I'd hazard a guess you're hoping to start cycling again in August. I wish you well on your recovery. ;-)

Top Bottom