Having a nightmare rerouting inner gear cable on Planet X RT 58 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaAnTr

Hi,

I am having massive problems trying to reroute my inner gear cable.

I first took it to Halfords after struggling for an hour and they couldn't do it. They took the bottom bottom bracket but said they weren't able to see the cable going through and there was no access panel.

I've since manager to get a gear cable going "the wrong way" starting at the chain stay and coming out up by the top tube. I've tried sellotaping the it to another cable and trying to use it to pull back through and tried tying floss to the cable but it always comes off towards the bottom bracket.

The cable goes through the frame incredibly easily when starting at the chain stay but I must have just spent 2 hours trying to get it to go through the correct way with no luck.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How about using a thin long rod with the cable tied at the end of it or cellartaped down it for about 50mm to avoid a knot? Just a thought.

arch684

Veteran
only if you have enough space but you could slide a length of outer cable on to the cable already in and when it is all the way through remove the inner cable and slide the new cable in through the outer the right way round

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

only if you have enough space but you could slide a length of outer cable on to the cable already in and when it is all the way through remove the inner cable and slide the new cable in through the outer the right way round

Unfortunately there isn't room for an outer cable, the hole is absolutely tiny. I've just been playing around some more and now I can't even get the cable going through the wrong way. Genuinely can't see myself ever being able to do it!

U

User6179

I have heard you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck some thread through then tie/tape the thread to the cable .

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

I have heard you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck some thread through then tie/tape the thread to the cable .

Ah, forgot to mention that I've tried this and it didn't work. I think it might be because inside the frame there are routing cables, which I can only assume I've just messed up as I now can't get the wire going through backwards. If I can get it going through backwards I might buy some 2mm tubing from eBay but suspect there won't be room to run that through.

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

So I've managed to get the cable running back through from the chain stay side. Basically it seems there is some sort of block that requires a lot of force in the inner cable routing.

I've tried to draw where the block seems to be - https://i.imgur.com/z8Onqsw.png

So whilst I can put enough force through the cable when coming from the chain stay side because the block is so close to it the cable doesn't flex too much under the force, I can't get the force needed to push through from the correct side.

This might be stupid but I can see a few options, firstly do thinner gear cables exist? I can't seem to find any especially small cables. Alternatively is there any way to actually get cables that can be routed from the chain stay end?

Buck

Guru
Id be tempted to give PlanetX a call tomorrow to ask their advice. After all, they build the things every day and will know the dark art better than most!

Levo-Lon

Guru
My RT 58 frame is External routing ?

when i do internal cables i use long reach tweezers to get the ends through holes

1433672491502.jpg

Top Bottom