Having an old bike painted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a tatty early 70s Harry Hall bike that I have been meaning to renovate for a while, but it is still languishing in pieces in the shed. Today, when out for a ride, I passed a small car spraying workshop that advertised that it sprayed bikes, also said that it does custom spraying, and had a couple of nice looking sports cars outside. I stopped to ask if that included pushbikes and the bloke told me that they really meant motor bikes, although he had done some pushbikes but only if they had been stripped of paint. I said that I would want either metallic mid/dark blue or burgundy but not too fussed about exact shade. He said that he gets lots of cars in shades like that and he would prime, paint and bake when he was doing a similar colour car for £20.

Once this lockdown is over I'm going to give it a go. For £20 it has to be worth a punt, what could go wrong? (famous last words). I will report back in the hopefully near future.

Gunk

Guru
£20 is definitely worth a punt.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Needs to be blasted and at least primed the same day, and not exposed to damp or touched with bare hands in between.

Unless you have a full set of bike shop tools, mask the BB threads, fork threads (if any), fork crown seat, inside of seat tube and inside of head tube. Paint on these bits will make reassembly very difficult.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Needs to be blasted and at least primed the same day, and not exposed to damp or touched with bare hands in between.

Unless you have a full set of bike shop tools, mask the BB threads, fork threads (if any), fork crown seat, inside of seat tube and inside of head tube. Paint on these bits will make reassembly very difficult.

I have had a few bikes powder coated in the past and used a pair of old bb cups part screwed in for the threads and masked the inside of the seat and head tube, plus fork steerer column. Worked well, but in the case of problems I have easy access to a full set of thread cutting/cleaning and tube facing/reaming tools.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Any sand/bead blasters nearby?

Chemical strippers for use at home, don't remove the old paint enough, and sand paper can leave marks that are hard to remove entirely showing through the new paint.
I'm gonna say that sandpaper is okay, but you have to go the full route, sanding up in the grits. You can start with a low grit, using a higher grit to sand out the marks from the lower grits, until you get to 1-2,000 grit. Much as you would an automobile.

ozboz

Guru
A Harry Hall , I’m jealous !!
any idea what year and model ?

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
A Harry Hall , I’m jealous !!
any idea what year and model ?

Early 70s I believe. No model name.