Hay Fever Started for Anyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dilbert

Have you tried Beconase Nasal spray - that worked for me for a while but as some others have said it seems to be getting better with the advancing years (unlike everything else!!) I used to have it bad but I don't recall ever having a rash - you have my sympathy

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Looks like i am at the peek age for it LOL 26 years old so many years of hayfever to come. I have tried all sorts from the shops etc but dont want any injections

Chris

Globalti

Legendary Member
My mum aged 80 used Beconase last week and was up all night with bad palpitations. Turns out that the main ingredient is Ephidrine, which I think is a banned drug for athletes and can cause excitation and irregular heart beat. Not good.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
shouldbeinbed said:
+1 for it easing off as you get older. I'm 41 now and just the odd sniffle when I'm bashing through the undergrowth at the mo. 10 years ago I'd had my first injection by now and be avoiding anything green for months.

Haymine works nicely for me nowadays.

I am a little concerned as last few years I have been getting increasingly sniffly and sneezy on the odd day and this year it has started again already, cleaned out the guinea pigs the other day and the hay made me itch like crazy!

Never had hayfever and lived in the countryside all my life! now in a town and I think I am developing the fever in old age! ;):biggrin:!:biggrin:

wafflycat

shouldbeinbed said:
+1 for it easing off as you get older. I'm 41 now and just the odd sniffle when I'm bashing through the undergrowth at the mo. 10 years ago I'd had my first injection by now and be avoiding anything green for months.

Haymine works nicely for me nowadays.

Mine hasn't eased as I get older. If anything, it gets worse.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ComedyPilot said:
Never had it (phew) and don't wish it on anyone.

Ditto. Never suffered from it thankfully, but one of brothers gets it real real bad... summer can be a nightmare for him :sad:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have used a combination of Beconase and a antihistamine which eases a lot of the symptoms over the years, also wear glasses especially when on the bike out in the country to try to reduce itchy eyes. The only other tip is Beconase is most effective when used for a few days.

simonali

Guru
Bandini said:
It's a git. I tend to start in a few weeks. Telfast from the docs are fairly good.

Ditto. Telfast is an amazing revelation after years of stuff not working, including steroids. On hols last summer 5 of us got eaten alive by mozzies/insects and I was the only one not covered in red lumps due to being loaded up on those pills. Didn't even feel itchy!

It is getting earlier with some of the extra crops that are around. Oilseed Rape is just coming out now which was not around years ago.

I used to keep bees and supplied supplied many locals with honey which is supposed to help. You need to track down really locally collected honey that will be made from the pollen of the plants around you. It is supposed to build your immunity to it like a vaccine. Take it all year and it then by the spring/summer your body should be more used to the pollen or at least built a tolerance to it.
It needs to be made of the same pollen so if the farmer changes crop it will throw out the benefit. Worth a go and really no downside (unless you dont like honey). Most areas have a beekeepers group of some sort.

Norm

As a point of pedantry, my understanding is that oilseed rape cannot itself cause hayfever. However, some of the chemicals released when it is in flower can reduce resistance to other pollen, thus making many think that they get bad hayfever when the rape is in flower.

But local honey is indeed great for sufferers, and I hate honey.

Does it make anyone tired? I don't seem to get the itchy eyes much, a bit but dry throat and fatigue with a slight sweaty feeling is me. Perhaps I've got another lurgy mixed in?

Top Bottom