Hay fever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Oh my word.

Thought perhaps I was cured then today started sneezing for hours to the point my body feels wrecked and I feel like I've got a cold or something.

Started on the antihistamines but takes a few days.

Any other sufferers/survivors?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I used to suffer more than I have over the last few years (that'll put the hex on it!!)
The only problem I have now is when cycling in the countryside without wraparound glasses to keep the pollen away from my eyes.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm having a very good year this year. I'm a life long sufferer, as a kid it crippled me.

Mrs Dave has started to have it in the last few years. The last 2 weeks her eyes have been so gritty and sore.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oh my word.

Thought perhaps I was cured then today started sneezing for hours to the point my body feels wrecked and I feel like I've got a cold or something.

I've had it for 29 years and it was awful at the start with increibly painful, itchy eyes, sneezing and headaches.
In the past five years it has eased a bit but still annoying. I didn't understand how debilitating it was until I began suffering from it, I think many non-sufferers still underestimate its effects.

I never suffered with it in 40 years until I started a new job 4 years ago :crazy:

I now work outside more than I ever have in my working life, but as a kid I was basically never inside, yet I never suffered then, go figure!!!

I've been back on antihistamines for a few months, (got the dreaded itchy mouth early this year), and when it's particularly bad I use eye drops and a hooter spray as well :sad:

gavgav

Guru
This week has been pretty awful with it. It's always June to August that I suffer with it. Mainly in my nose, but eyes will itch and run if I scratch them.

Buck

Guru
Mrs Buck started again last week (later than usual this year) and its mainly her eyes which are really bloodshot and sore. Eye drops are having zero effect. Feel for her but there's nothing that seems to lessen the symptoms for her :sad:

Broadside

Guru
Oh my word.

The right antihistamines work much more quickly than that, perhaps you should try something else? I get very bad effects from grass pollen, it went mad yesterday but 1hour after taking another tablet the effects were back under control.

I also find washing my face or taking a shower can make things a bit better when it is really bad.

Though I shouldn't have done this I used to take up to 5 of the one-a-day tablets each day simply to control my symptoms. My doctor agreed that was a bit extreme and put me on some prescription antihistamine (terfenadine/fexofenadine) which seems to work much better for me than the usual over the counter stuff like cetirizine and Loratidine. I wouldn't wait a few days for the drugs to work, try something else.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had hay fever for about 45 years but Loraradine has made summers bearable for me for the last couple of decades. At about 56 I began to suffer less but today I've taken one as there must be a lot of dust and pollen around and I've been quite sneezy.

I have always suffered from hay fever, especially to grass pollen, but also to house dust.
As Mrs S is a thorough and borderline compulsive cleaner, I would be sneezing a lot indoors. So now I take loratidine (Aldi sells 14 x one a day tablets for about a pound) regularly, and I am just about sneeze free. I do still get occasional bouts of itchy eyes, but I can cope with that better than loads of sneezing......

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've had one serious blow out with my eyes so far, and even on two tablets a day I'm only just about keeping the other symptoms at bay.

If the levels stay as high as they are then my camping/cycling trip to Ireland next month could be 'interesting'.

Roll on September!

Top Bottom