Hayfever tablets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Im 35 and have suffered with hayfever most of my life, so I have taken tablets as the doctor advised against the injection if at all possible as it could have an effect on the liver (or it could have been kidneys, it was 20-odd years ago)

Last year and this year I have noticed a few side effects that I havent had before. Best described as grumpy, angry, lazy (lathargic) and have a stomach upset.

I have just been googleing the side effect of hayfever tabs and all those are a know side effects, but untill last year I had not experienced any of them.

Any other hayfever sufferers noticed this? Im wondering if something was added to the tablets over the last few years.

Paul.

PS- I usually use haymine, but have the same thing with other name brands, and also the no-name ones which seem a little worse.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I once had some anti-histamine, but never again. They did the job vis-a-vis snot, but the major side-effect was that they knocked me stone cold. Stone cold spark out. Not recommended (unless you seek oblivion - which I don't). Oh yeah, AND they made me go scarlet all over! Scarlet! A serious side-effect that was.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I always felt that cetirazine (Zirtek) knocked a little alertness off, but was better than the alternative (stinging watery eyes and nose running xx(). I think Loritadine (Claratyn) is supposed to be non-drowsy but didn't help the hayfever too much for me.

Whatever they put in Piriton however is a good insomnia cure.
tired.gif

henshaw11

I had pretty terrible hayfever - and about june exam time too - from about 8 to my very late 30s. Nothing ever made me drowsy (piriton included), equally once the pollen count reached a certain threshold nothing worked either. Only when becanase came out did I start to get some decent relief, and since then my succeptibility's dropped (tho' I guess that's an age thing..)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I always felt that cetirazine (Zirtek) knocked a little alertness off, but was better than the alternative (stinging watery eyes and nose running xx(). I think Loritadine (Claratyn) is supposed to be non-drowsy but didn't help the hayfever too much for me.

Whatever they put in Piriton however is a good insomnia cure.
tired.gif

Citrizine makes my hands blister and eczema flare up quite bady here. I use the benedryl acra-wotsit instead now. The lori one gives me cramps. Not good.

I avoided hayfever meds for about 15 years because of side effect.

brockers

Don't really get hayfever, but tried some Phenergan (old-skool anti-histamine) last year to see if its reputed anti-anxiety properties were true. Big mistake as I came out with swollen lymph glands and a massive and evil-looking rash on my arse for two weeks, and then intense itching there for the following month. Entirely my fault as I convinced the pharmacist that it was what I 'needed' for my non-existent hayfever. I felt the need to put a 'yellow card' in to the MHRA as a result, in case it might help to act as a warning to others. (Worked as a short-term anxiolytic though..:thumbsup:)

Maz

Guru
Someone told me (and I have no idea if there's any truth in it) that eating locally-produced honey helps combat hay-fever, because your body 'gets used to the pollen', somehow.

Sounds like something the Honey Marketing Board might have come up with.

Norm

It might well be, but it works ok for me. :thumbsup:

I find that the first few days of antihistamines makes me feel a bit wonky, but that after a week or so the only sign tht I have taken them is not being blocked up. Persevere and the side effects normally wear off.

A lot of people here swear by local honey also.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Someone told me (and I have no idea if there's any truth in it) that eating locally-produced honey helps combat hay-fever, because your body 'gets used to the pollen', somehow.

Old wives tale. Theres less pollen in honey than there is in the ambient atmosphere.

Glover Fan

Sorry to bump thread, but I have just been recommended a product called "Pollenna" that you can buy in Holland and Barratt.

Now, it's homeopathic. Crazy nu-age stuff, but my god it has done the trick! I don't know what it does, but no side effects and no hayfever!

So, as right now it is peak grass pollen season, anybody who is kind of at a witsend with hayfever, I highly recommend it.

Before I started taking this though I took Benadryl (The expensive Acrivastine) version which worked the best. I avoided Cetirizine like the plague, no kidding I went through 3 red lights in a day in the car once when I took some. Drowse central.

Top Bottom