Hayfever tablets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Benadryl - the three per day version with Acrivastine are the only ones that work for me without making me drowsy or thirsty - they seem to be permanently BOGOF in Boots, thankfully! This year hasn't been to bad so far but am feeling the effects this week <sniff>

I've tried honey, homeopathy and herbal remedies without any joy.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Citirizine hydrochloride is whats in most hey fever medicines (anti-histamines)
Loratadine is whats in the non drowsy.
i don't get on with CH, makes me very drowsy and gives me palpitations
loratadine however i get on fine with, it just doesn't stop my damned eyes from itching.
for that i'll use becotide sprays for the nose, helps reduce swelling (incidentally the same thing asthmatics use)

honey is pointless, this doesn't work because bee's collect the pollen of flowers, whereas hey fever is caused by windblown pollen which is from tree's and grass. hence honey won't help.
never tried the injection tho.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Does anyone suffer exclusively on the bike? Mine effects my sinuses and only this year, Constant runny nose on the bike slight itchy eyes which seems to go post ride but leaves me with sinus pressure and dry nose.

I kept getting antibiotics for sinus inection but it is definitely linked to Cycling, and without any doubt inproves when it is damp or wet for a few days.

calibanzwei

I can tell what time of year it is by sticking my head out the window and inhaling - first week in June, like clockwork.
I find that any one-a-day citirizine hydrochloride type tablet does me, in conjunction with a nasal spray like Bendadryl. The secret (for me at least) is to build up my levels of antihistamine a week or so before the start of June and religiously take my tablets (I have a little spy/pill capsule on my keys I put them in so I dont forget).

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
honey is pointless, this doesn't work because bee's collect the pollen of flowers, whereas hey fever is caused by windblown pollen which is from tree's and grass. hence honey won't help.
never tried the injection tho.

There has been a big US study into this and they found honey to be b*ll*cks. For exactly the reason you mention. It got printed up in New Scientist, and then more recently in Cycling Plus

yello

Big mistake as I came out with swollen lymph glands and a massive and evil-looking rash on my arse for two weeks, and then intense itching there for the following month.

Ah yes, turning into a baboon is a well known side-effect of Phenergan ;)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I take fairly massive doses of Loratadine (20-30mg) every day in May/June. If I don't my Asthma kicks in and I stop being a functioning human being, and turn into a blind, wheezing snot-factory with a face like a balloon.

Non of the other AH drugs seems to have any effect, and I take 2 - 3 times the normal dose of loratadine (prescribed by doctor). The only side effect I've noticed has been a tendency in the first couple of weeks to get headaches. This seems to wear off towards the end of the season.

Come July I'll start to decrease the dose, and by August I'll be clear till next year.

I love Summer :smile:

Top Bottom