HDMI lead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

the kong of hong.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Argos do a Warfedale 2m lead for £14.99.
I woudn't pay any more then that for a lead. As the gadget show said, there is no difference between cheap and expensive leads.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Doesn't make any difference whatsever in my experience. I think some of the complaints people had about them were more that until recently a lot of tvs had 1 hdmi and people were forever plugging different devices in and out and it buggered the slot. If it doesn't work properly there's more likely something wrong with the tv. Anyway the tv you said you'd buy has 2xHDMI. I'd get one longer than 1m though it's a bit short. 1.5 or 2m is much better.
**Nosey** What are you plugging into it anyway?

twowheelsgood

Buy the cheapest. It's won't make any difference. Mine cost the equiivalent £5 at Conrad electronics and I see nothing resembling digital artifacts on screen. the build quality of the cable is actually very impressive.

The only case where you might want to pay more is for long cable runs.

The confusion arises from the very early days of digital audio when you might have had a separate digital to analogue converter (DAC) and poor cables could cause timing problems. This hasn't been a real problem for decades as signals are buffed and re-clocked into the DAC. Gramophone magazine once replaced a digital interconnect with bell wire and no one in a blind test could hear the difference.

As has been already said the protocol by which HDMI is sent is encoded with error checking and is also buffered and reclocked at the TV end. If there is a problem you will see "sparklies".

It's a rip off, the retailers are cashing in on public ignorance. I had to go to an electronics store for a basic, cheap cable (equivalent to Maplin), all the electrical goods stores only stocked cables costing 4 times or more.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Niiiiice.

Bet you have an accident on the bike now to restore the kharmic balance.... sorry, that's just the way of the world - you can't avoid it!! :angry:;)

dodgy

You can get HDMI leads from ebuyer for about a fiver. No need to spend more, you might need to make a more careful assessment if you're running HDMI over very long distances, but not for simple connectivity in and around an average equipment stack.

Dave.

twowheelsgood

Uncle Mort said:
Erm - I agree. Is it OK to go back to sleep now? :angry:

Sorry but this kind of thing gets on my nerves. My father was told only this week he "needed" a £70 cable "in order to get 1080P" with his shiny new LCD TV. He's pretty switched on as a former electrician (no pun intended) but confirmed it with me.

How many, especially older folk who are not so savvy and come from an age where you could (almost) trust salespeople actually get ripped-off?

Top Bottom