1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI lead

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 27 Jun 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They seem to vary from £6.99 to stupid money.

Any recommendations for something good below £20? Considering that the Gadget Show tested them and said that there's no discernable difference between the silly prices and the affordables.

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

the kong of hong.

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Argos do a Warfedale 2m lead for £14.99.
    I woudn't pay any more then that for a lead. As the gadget show said, there is no difference between cheap and expensive leads.

4. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Mr. Paul, they are digital leads, and as such they will work 100% or not at all. They use v complex error checking and correction algorithms. No need to waste your money on anything expensive.

It's completely different from analogue, where you can arguably see big differences betwen bellwire and solid gold cables.

5. Jaded

Jaded New Member

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Don't get cheap shoot - get good, but cheep ! eh ?

7. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Doesn't make any difference whatsever in my experience. I think some of the complaints people had about them were more that until recently a lot of tvs had 1 hdmi and people were forever plugging different devices in and out and it buggered the slot. If it doesn't work properly there's more likely something wrong with the tv. Anyway the tv you said you'd buy has 2xHDMI. I'd get one longer than 1m though it's a bit short. 1.5 or 2m is much better.
    **Nosey** What are you plugging into it anyway?

8. twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood Senior Member

Buy the cheapest. It's won't make any difference. Mine cost the equiivalent £5 at Conrad electronics and I see nothing resembling digital artifacts on screen. the build quality of the cable is actually very impressive.

The only case where you might want to pay more is for long cable runs.

The confusion arises from the very early days of digital audio when you might have had a separate digital to analogue converter (DAC) and poor cables could cause timing problems. This hasn't been a real problem for decades as signals are buffed and re-clocked into the DAC. Gramophone magazine once replaced a digital interconnect with bell wire and no one in a blind test could hear the difference.

As has been already said the protocol by which HDMI is sent is encoded with error checking and is also buffered and reclocked at the TV end. If there is a problem you will see "sparklies".

It's a rip off, the retailers are cashing in on public ignorance. I had to go to an electronics store for a basic, cheap cable (equivalent to Maplin), all the electrical goods stores only stocked cables costing 4 times or more.

9. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Erm - I agree. Is it OK to go back to sleep now? ;)

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I got it sorted in the end. When I bought the TV Richers gave me a £30 lead for £15. It was faulty. I only found it was faulty when the Virgin Media bloke came out to find out why the TV wasn't working. And he gave me a free HDMI lead.

I took the faulty lead back and they refunded me the full amount. So I was £15 in credit.

11. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

Niiiiice.

Bet you have an accident on the bike now to restore the kharmic balance.... sorry, that's just the way of the world - you can't avoid it!! :angry:;)

12. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

You can get HDMI leads from ebuyer for about a fiver. No need to spend more, you might need to make a more careful assessment if you're running HDMI over very long distances, but not for simple connectivity in and around an average equipment stack.

Dave.

13. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Oh well glad you got it sorted two months ago.

14. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

What are they for? :angry:

15. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Taking HDMIs for a walk - obviously!