Head badge restoration help sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

Can any one suggest someone who might be able to restore a classic 1950s head badge. It had been stripped of all its colour and overpainted with a brush in thick black paint. I would like to restore it so it can go back on the frame when its been resprayed.

These might help if you find someone to do the work ( or buy some paint and DIY)

davidphilips

Veteran
Might be less trouble and less expensive to keep a look on Ebay for a good used badge, this way you might be lucky and sell you old badge (if you find a suitable replacement) to of set part of the cost?

carpenter

Über Member
Is that a rare one? I just had a look online and can only find examples like this:

0201df730064152800caf159d058363c.jpg

Also, yours has traces of red around the wings which wouldn't go with the ones I have found.

I would agree with @midlife - polish it a bit (then spray with clear lacquer to keep the eagle shining :smile:)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Mandobob there's a guy on Facebook who restore Raleigh badges .

From memory his surname is Edwards and is listed as coming from Kidderminster if I find one his posts I will message you

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I used to do a fair bit of sign writing with One Shot enamel.
And gilding too.
There will be red paint under the gilding, if it is gild, to make the gold colour stand out.
You could do it with small tins of enamel paint, but it will look amateurish if the colours are off. But then who will be peering at it?
Polish and lacquer is the easiest way

OP
OP
Mandobob

Mandobob

Is that a rare one? I just had a look online and can only find examples like this:

View attachment 572884

Also, yours has traces of red around the wings which wouldn't go with the ones I have found.

I would agree with @midlife - polish it a bit (then spray with clear lacquer to keep the eagle shining :smile:)
Yes, it's a very rare one. I only know of one other. It has the words Manufactured by RCI which is Roberts Cycle Industries where Ernie Clements created the first Falcon in 1956. RCI were bought out by Coventry Eagle in 1959. After that the one you show was adopted and used until about 1978.

That's why I want to restore this one.

Top Bottom