Head Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Try Dogcamsport they have a good selection at varying price levels.

Just remembered 10% off for CC users.

BSRU

A Human Being
Bump.

Anyone use a head cam for cycling, would love to know what camera you use along with its plus and minus points.

ContourHD, it is a good shape for mounting on the top of your helmet, if you wear one that is. It is well built, basically waterproof and produces good images, with an upgraded battery and 32GB memory card you can use it for 4 hours without the need to recharge it or change the memory card.

Compared to MD80/Muvi clones it is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
The helmet mount was not very securely held onto the helmet, easily fixed with four very strong cable ties.

I have been using my first one for almost a year now and it was well worth it.

I could only recommend what not to buy; The AT1 a nice concept but too many negative as summed up in this you tube conversation between me and DrSquirrel.

I believe my other camera the ATC5K is still above that budget and apart from being pretty well made/ robust its pretty pants too.

For the £100 mark I quite like the look of the Bullet HD but I've no experience of it.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I quite like the look of the Bullet Cam too. However not sure if my computer is up to the mark. 2ghz - 450 ram

What sort of files do these cameras create, if you film for 2 hours is it just one massive file?

Do any of the cameras automatically over write when memory is full. ie if I fitted into my car could I just leave it on and always have the last 2 hours of recording?

Video editors, what would you recomend, running XP so i doubt I have anything at the moment.

Your puter should be fine.

With the cameras that I know the spec of (atc range, HQ2 and recorders, Camsports and ContourHDs) once the memory is full it will just stop recording.

The obvious downside is that if you want reasonable quality, eg getting plates in detail or recording rides at night, then you'll need to invest about 3 times your budget. A camera with a CCD sensor will record in the most detail and usually better at night. Most cams are CMOS which is usually fine when its daylight.

The BulletHD is basically a MUVI clone style sensor and recorder in bullet casing so it can be mounted easier to helmets, ski goggles and the top of cars. Theres an example vid on the product page:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bullet-hd-camera.html
The sound is s*** though.. another benefit of investing a little more money.

I use a Veho Muvi.

I find it quite adequate for the amount of time I use it (usually just commuting). Its compact and slots into my helmet vent nicely. Gives a good clear image and the sound is ok too.
It has a 2gb card, which you can upgrade, but the main issue if you plan to use it on longer rides would be the battery life, I generally get 1.5/2 hours.
Its not waterproof either, although I have used it in adverse conditions and its still going strong.

File size varies from camera to camera and with the conditions; but the AT I'm borrowing uses just under 1GB for 1/2 an hour my ATC uses just over 1GB.

I use Windows live Movie Maker its free, the first release wasn't that great a bit of a step back from the previous moviemaker but they've sorted things out and I find it a nice simple package to use and will do what I need.

Lol and good luck with the Ixus :-)

You don't need to convert Avi to Mp4 for you tube; the site recognises almost all video formats.

To convert I use 'Any Video Converter' which is free (no watermarks); I've also used 'Hamster' which is free too. For a while I was using PRISM its 10 times faster but it is only a free trial.

Youtube sometimes take a while to process a file so you can watch it on a higher bit rate even then it still ain't great though.

Edit The Latest version of AVC installs a low level spyware :-( Windows defender removes it :-)I should have downloaded it from a spyware free site.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Filesizes:

Some cams have options to record at different quality, bitrate or profile of picture (so 4:3 instead of 16:9 widescreen will be a smaller file). My HQR2 recorder will put a gig file for every 20 minutes, or select a lower quality option and I can get about an hour onto a gigabite.

Software:
Windows movie maker is actually pretty good. It doesnt like apple/mov files etc, so yes you would need a convertor. HLab's recommendations are pretty good.

Or you can invest in some dedicated software, often comes with music, allows you to mix audio, create picture in picture, etc. You do have to check that the software accepts the format/cam you wish to use though. Otherwise you'll still be using convertor software.

Hbaker

Thinking of getting a head cam to record some of my journeys, budget of £100 any thoughts

100 Pounds? Decent head cam? Not possible. With headcams you need quality, and you'll need to go over at least 150 for it. Go Pro are awesome cameras their most affordable is this ; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003YMN3...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003YMN3O6

It shoot in 960 which is still HD but if you want to go up a level I recommend you go to the GoPro helmet hero, It shoots in the full 1080, usually retails at 300 but I'm sure you can pick it up for 200.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11441

Hope you found that useful

H

Top Bottom