Head Torch Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darth vadar

Über Member
Would a decent head torch be part of the answer to travelling along dark country lanes? Are they powerful enough to light up the road so I can see potholes etc.

If so, can anybody recommend one for me please (with links if possible).

Sadly, my budget isn't huge, but with Xmas coming who knows?!!!!!

Thanks.

oliver

PpPete

Legendary Member
A headtorch that is bright enough to really light up a dark country lane (like the claimed 1200 lumen ones above) has the potential to temporarily blind an oncoming motorist if you look up at the wrong time. Far better to put that sort of firepower on the bars pointing permanently down on the road.

If you want a supplementary head torch to shed a little light round corners, fix punctures, point at motorists who don't dip their headlights, something like 40 or 50 lumens is more appropriate.

oliver

nah - twin/quad mount those 1200 lumen ones on the handlebars and have one/two on your head (with a big laser if you want!) to really blind the motorists who don't dip there lights!!! :smile:

Would a decent head torch be part of the answer to travelling along dark country lanes? Are they powerful enough to light up the road so I can see potholes etc.
Thanks.

I like the Petzel series head torches. have used them for years and years now, mostly mountaineering, but sometimes cycling. We did have the Myo XP ones until the electric cables broke in the same place repeatedly in both of them and I got fed up of shortening the cable (running out of it) and fixing it. So after 7 years use, they were replaced with the Petzel Myo RXP model which has a redesign of the area that was repeatedly failing on the old model. So far they have been great. They are really bright on their brightest mode, but we have used them when cycling through tunnels in Norway to give us some extra light - they did that really well. But they don't fix easily to cycle helmets (at least not ours) - they are designed for caving helmets. So unless you don't wear a helmet, the idea of a head torch on your head is not going to work.
However, I am with everyone else on this front, head torches are not really the way to go on bikes.
Both my husband and I commute (and have done for 8 or 9 years) across country on bridle paths and down unlit country lanes and we have simply resorted to 2 bike lights angled differently. One points to a few meters in front of the bike to clearly see potholes etc and the other 25-50m in front of the bike so you can see where you are going to. We have never had an issue being seen - unlit roads are a lights to see with issue, not a lights to be seen with issue. We simply make sure that all our lights take the same batteries - rechargable (2,900mAh) AA batteries and have at least 1 complete spare set always charged and ready to swap out. Incidentally our Petzels take the same batteries.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have an Alpkit Gamma http://www.alpkit.com/gamma

The 1W main beam is very useful spot beam on unlit lanes and also great on roundabouts for waggling at motorists. The flashing mode is nice & slow too. Around lit areas, the lower consumption small LEDs can be used instead of the 1W monster beam.

The light has 3 AAA batteries and they even sent Duracells with it.

I'd rather not have a foglamp on my bonce because it would be too dazzling for oncoming motorists.

..I'd rather not have a foglamp on my bonce because it would be too dazzling for oncoming motorists.

The very reason we picked the Petzel Myo RXP is that it has 10 light settings which you can program into the 3 'options'. press once and you get the lowest of all settings on our programing, twice and you get level 4, three times and you get level 10. saves on battery life as well as preventing blinding and you can change between wide angle and spot light by flipping the front lens up or down (apprently you can also get different coloured front lenses, but red & green would not work well on roads).

pinnacleadventure

I would recommend the Petzl Myo - in my work as a mountain leader this is my headtorch of choice, used at night in winter conditions, long life and very good beam or you can choose the defused option for a spread of light - can't go wrong with this one!!

www.amazon.co.uk/petzl+myo+RXP

Thanks.
s

D

Deleted member 20519

I used an aldi torch (8 led I believe) mounted with zip ties to my helmet, frankly it was too heavy for me (maybe I just wasn't used to it.)

A headtorch that is bright enough to really light up a dark country lane (like the claimed 1200 lumen ones above) has the potential to temporarily blind an oncoming motorist if you look up at the wrong time. Far better to put that sort of firepower on the bars pointing permanently down on the road.

If you want a supplementary head torch to shed a little light round corners, fix punctures, point at motorists who don't dip their headlights, something like 40 or 50 lumens is more appropriate.
Quite agree.

RWright

Guru
I have a T6 1200 lumen and don't get any cars flashing their brights at me. The can be aimed to distract drivers I guess but they work great. I wouldn't really feel safe without one now. If I want to blind drivers I will get a laser. ^_^

My T6 is handlebar mounted.

Top Bottom