Question about Triban RC500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Mayhem

Hello all. I'm looking at getting my first "real" bike so I can get out there and start exercising and enjoying the road. I've been looking at different review videos on YouTube and various sites, and one I keep coming back to is the Triban RC500. It seems like it's well-liked and a good deal. My only frame of reference up to this point is off-the-shelf bikes from stores like Walmart or Academy, so any bike would pretty much be an upgrade to me.

Has anyone tried this one out, and if so, how do you like it? Also, I had a question about sizing. I'm weirdly proportioned: I'm 5'8", but my inseam is only 28.5" (tiny, I know). So according to Triban's sizing chart, I could be either a small or a medium, but I'm not sure which would be better.

Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d think the medium if you have a long torso and short legs. Check the seat tube measurement isn’t still too long for you to have the saddle right down. Presumably you can’t get to a Decathlon store to try?

One thing with some of the Tribans is they come with tubeless ready wheels and owners say they can be an utter bitch for tyre changes/puncture repairs if tubes fitted and end up buying new wheels. That may only affect the 520 though so read through the reviews on the website too carefully. eg https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-500-disc-brake/_/R-p-308097
Good value for money bikes otherwise

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I'm guessing you are USA based?

I'd never heard of Academy sports, but just found their website and none of their bikes would appeal to me.
Decathon (Triban) seem to have closed their retail outlets, so only online?

There are other forum members in the USA, perhaps they will repond and advise.

Good luck

OP
OP
Mr. Mayhem

Mr. Mayhem

Thank you both for the replies. I am based in the USA unfortunately. From what I've seen, it seems like you all have better options across the pond for bikes. On the USA site, it does say the RC500 comes with tubeless-ready wheels, so I guess I'll have to consider that. I have heard that the tubeless tires are quite a bit more, but are nicer overall and that you can run lower pressures without fear of pinching, but I may be mistaken.

As for the size, medium would be best? My only concern would be standover height, but then again...as long as it's comfortable to ride and I don't have an issue reaching the pedals, I don't suppose it matters much how comfortable it is while standing. I just want to be sure before ordering since like I can't actually try it in store before buying.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the geometry charts and figure out how it’ll be based on your measurements. Personally I have never considered stand over height when buying a bike but then I’m a long legged female!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Look at the geometry charts and figure out how it’ll be based on your measurements. Personally I have never considered stand over height when buying a bike but then I’m a long legged female!

i always go by top tube length centre to centre as most bikes these days are sloping frames so standover height isnt much help .
I know stack/ reach are the new way to do things but i havent got my head around them yet , based purely on height i would say small

Top Bottom