Head tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Just bought a Edinburgh country touring bike the head tube is super short 10cm that doesn't look right for a touring bike does it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-172249_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210116-172249_eBay.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 6

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Depends on the sizes but it is more a matter of style, I think.

I think there used to be an Edinburgh Country Traveller too, but I do not know how it differed from the Tourer.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi,
Its short because that is a smallish frame, all completely normal (regardless of frame geometry or purpose) looks like about a 20 or 21 inch. Headtube length always gives an easy to visually gauge frame size.
If that seat height is correct then that frame size is alright for you I would say.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Depends on size of frame - I'm only small and I don't have a lot of head tube. The handlebars on yuor photo do have a very long drop though which makes it look a bit odd

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Like I put on my other post I'm 5 ft 10 and 32 inch legs I've been riding a 54 for a while and it's been ok I thought I was riding a 56 but until the other day I meassured it. I asked the guy I bought it of what size it was and he said 56, so I was happy I asked again last night he said it was but had already posted it.

It came today I got the tape out meassured and it was 54 I new it but it's so nice I don't want to send it back and see how it goes does anyone else ride a 54 cm frame at 5ft 10.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Personally I don't think it matters a massive huge amount... so long as a frame is not too big which you can do nothing about and they will look all wrong. You can always get a longer stem. And pop the seat up a touch.(knee not quite straight with crank in line with seat tube) I am 5'9" with I think 31 inside leg and I ride between 21 1/2" and 22". 54 is just over 21" so yes its at the small end but fine I recon.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You don’t have to have the saddle and bars at the same height, it depends on what is comfortable for you. I always have the saddle higher than the bars, some of my bikes higher than others, which is comfortable for me.
My Hewitt which is a similar Touring/Audax style as yours is set up as below;

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
This as high as the stem goes I hope it will be ok

Attachments

• 20210119_180216.jpg
    20210119_180216.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 8

Ajax Bay

Guru
This as high as the stem goes I hope it will be ok
It will be 'OK' as long as the |||||| MINIMUM ||| line on the quill stem is below the level of the top of the lock nut.
That saddle looks quite high. I take it that when sitting squarely on the saddle your heel touches a pedal (when fitted) at the 6 o'clock position. And that you have a long seat post.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Yeah there's plenty left in the frame ie seat post I have a 85cm inside leg I had a bike fit years ago and they said it should be 777mm from crank to the top of the seat I'm 5ft10.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
You don’t have to have the saddle and bars at the same height, it depends on what is comfortable for you. I always have the saddle higher than the bars, some of my bikes higher than others, which is comfortable for me.
My Hewitt which is a similar Touring/Audax style as yours is set up as below; View attachment 569710
How tall are you and what size is that bike shown? Cheers Tav

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Ok cheers it's the same size as mine but I'm 2inches taller than you, still thinking what to do I've read on here that loads of people at my height have a 54cm likes mine but it's just the seat height and stem that are putting me off a bit. They are high to the size of the frame.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Ok cheers it's the same size as mine but I'm 2inches taller than you, still thinking what to do I've read on here that loads of people at my height have a 54cm likes mine but it's just the seat height and stem that are putting me off a bit. They are high to the size of the frame.
I think you need to test ride and see how you feel. You could also try sourcing a longer quill stem that’ll lift the bars.

Top Bottom