Headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leggy

About 10 minutes before I came off last week and got up close and personal with about 5 metres of road surface, I was passed by another rider and thought, "Gosh, his headlight is much brighter than mine, I wonder what kind it is?" Alas, he was soon out of sight and I never got to ask.

Well, now that I'm off crutches and hoping to be commuting again soon, I really do want to get a brighter headlight. Any recommendations?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut

Armegatron

Either Magic shine:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

Or Fenix LD20 (mine is the Q5, the linked one is newer and brighter):
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-ld20-r4.html

Either provide more than enough light. If you buy both, you'll get lumen points from passers by saying your lights are bright ;)

Although I havent got a Hope 1, I have seen them and they are worth checking out to see if you prefer something like that. I would choose a Fenix over it but Im bias ;)

There are many other lights available though, depending on budget, and how youll be using them.

I did similar to you, spotted a cyclist with some beefy lights and asked him what he was using. He said it was the Exposure Joystick and I promptly went online to check prices. Thankfully I didnt bother as I really liked the design and quality but the price was just way too high. Keep googling and Im sure you'll find something right for you.

adds21

Rider of bikes
benb said:
Are Ay-Up any good?

Yes. I love mine for the pitch black part of my commute in the winter. They feel pretty bomb proof. (The recommended way of cleaning them for example, is to drop them in a bowl of warm soapy water).

I like the fact there are two lights per set and you can angle each light differently. Very handy in the pot-holded country lanes by me as I can keep one pointed low, and the other for more distance.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
adds21 said:
Yes. I love mine for the pitch black part of my commute in the winter. They feel pretty bomb proof. (The recommended way of cleaning them for example, is to drop them in a bowl of warm soapy water).

I like the fact there are two lights per set and you can angle each light differently. Very handy in the pot-holded country lanes by me as I can keep one pointed low, and the other for more distance.

Cool, might get some when it starts to get darker.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
benb said:
Are Ay-Up any good?

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Great product, great warranty, great customer service. Expensive, yes but you get what you pay for. Bombproof lightweight tiny lights with reliable batteries and excellent mounting and charging options. And the lights come in a range of colours, which is important to some (like me ;))

They've now introduced little red caps so you can use them are rears to blind drivers, a new range of mounts and "epic" and "half-epic" multi mode batteries, all of which are backwards compatible with older Ay-Up lights.

I've got two sets and will be using them tonight on the Bognor FNRttC

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
GregCollins said:
Is the Pope a Catholic?

They've now introduced little red caps so you can use them are rears to blind drivers, a new range of mounts and "epic" and "half-epic" multi mode batteries, all of which are backwards compatible with older Ay-Up lights.

That i have to see. I've had mine for about 3 years now, used daily through the winter in all kinds of grim weather. Crashed on the MTB and still going strong.

AyUps are great! Mine are helmet mounted now, and I must say I love helmet mouning a light as you can shine the beam where you need to see without having to point the bike in that direction.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
SavageHoutkop said:
AyUps are great! Mine are helmet mounted now, and I must say I love helmet mouning a light as you can shine the beam where you need to see without having to point the bike in that direction.

That sounds good. Maybe have 2 sets - one on the bike and one on your helmet?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
benb said:
That sounds good. Maybe have 2 sets - one on the bike and one on your helmet?

Hell, go for broke! Put one on each joint as well. :biggrin: Knees, elbows, ankles wrists....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Like this.
dynamo1.jpg

JamesK

Über Member
Hello,

I'm looking at buying lights for my commute. Most of it is lit anyway, but I want to have the option of going down some un-lit roads on occasion, though this is not my main concern.

I've pretty much decided on the Fenix LD20 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-ld20-r4.html for my front light, but don't know what to do about a back light.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anything I can also buy from www.fenixtorch.co.uk ?

Thanks,

James

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
About 10 minutes before I came off last week and got up close and personal with about 5 metres of road surface, I was passed by another rider and thought, "Gosh, his headlight is much brighter than mine, I wonder what kind it is?" Alas, he was soon out of sight and I never got to ask.

Well, now that I'm off crutches and hoping to be commuting again soon, I really do want to get a brighter headlight. Any recommendations?

How much do you want to spend? There are a few suggestions here.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hello,

I'm looking at buying lights for my commute. Most of it is lit anyway, but I want to have the option of going down some un-lit roads on occasion, though this is not my main concern.

I've pretty much decided on the Fenix LD20 http://www.fenixtorc...ix-ld20-r4.html for my front light, but don't know what to do about a back light.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anything I can also buy from www.fenixtorch.co.uk ?

Thanks,

James

If you want a serious rear light, then there are only two options both made by Dinotte, either the 140L or the 400L depending on budget...

Top Bottom