Headology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddygt

Ok guys, I need some convincing. I intended to replace my big fat knobblies with some road tyres as I never go off road other than cycle paths. I have had these big fat soft tyres for the life of the bike, some seven years (obviously there have been many replacements but you know what I mean).

As there is no 'proper' bike shop in the area where I could buy the tyres recommended in an earlier post, I was going to order some online. However, a puncture yesterday has forced my hand slightly so I called in the local bike shop and picked up a pair of 'City Jet' Kevlar protected tyres and inner tubes.

This is a big thing for me as it heralds a change in the way I look at bikes (it really is all your fault!) and my first step to getting ready to replace my MBT. However, I need to get my head round a couple of things and for someone to hold my hand and tell me I am doing the right thing, so to speak......

This is my old tyre on the front
e6y9ahe6.jpg

And the new one
e5y8u4ur.jpg

Now, I expected my bike to look totally stupid with these tyres on but I can get used to that. What I find hard to believe is that these can have any sort of grip compared to the soft knobbly rubber I am used to.

Also, my old tyres are rated at 40psi max, these are 80psi!!!! I have pumped them to 60 and then I was a tad scared to go much higher, what do you suggest I run them at? Should they be so high a pressure?

Not had chance to ride them yet but the guy at the shop said I would feel a big difference and need to take time to get used to how the bike will handle now. I almost feel I should get off at corners and walk it round lol.

So, what do you think? Have I done the right thing?

I have also kitted the bike out with a Garmin 200 and I have promised myself that when I have lost three stone and done some decent riding I can have a new Hybrid or
Tourer, a road bike would be a step too far for me. I don't want much faster but I would like it a bit easier.

RWright

Guru
I see city jets mentioned favorably here a lot. I wish I had some on my Townie, the ones I have are similar but wider. Those tires look nice.

They will not grip in the mud and dirt like your knobbies. You may can come down just a little on the psi, sort of depends on your weight, but I wouldn't unless the ride felt too rough.

Biker Joe

Über Member
You've done the right thing. You should notice a big difference, much easier rolling along.
Don't worry about the higher tyre pressure. The tyres are built for it. The higher tyre pressure will give you less rolling resistance.
I usually note the min & max on the side of the tyre and go for somewhere in the middle. If it only has a maximum then I'd go for about 5psi less.
Another thing about higher tyre pressures is that they make the tyre less prone to puncturing so you should follow the pressures printed on the side of the tyre, they are there for a reason and are part of the tyre design.
I wish you happy progression in your cycling and lots of enjoyment.
Take care.

You will be amazed at how much easier it is ride .. (much faster for less effort) you will have a lot more grip on tarmac even when it's wet as you have more contact surface connecting with the road, and once you've got your head around it you will be cornering like a demon :-) i have a set of Continental Sport Contacts on my mountain bike and i absolutely love riding it on the road

100_0791.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paddygt

Thanks a lot guys. I have just looked back at my earlier post and it was the Schwalbe city jets that were recommended, for some reason I thought it was some other name lol. Feel much better now ^_^

Kins

Über Member
I rode my step brothers MTB today after having a quick sort of his gear cable. His rides on slicks and the difference was very noticeable. Wont change mine because I do off road slightly but I might borrow his bike more often if I am just riding roads/lanes.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
On a more positive note, when I put these on my MTB I went from pooling along at about a top comfortable speed of 14mph to about 18mph!

I'm really looking forward to your reaction when you first ride on them. I'd recommend pumping all the way up though.

Ozzrahog

I run my city jets on my MTB at just over 80psi. The are brilliant on tarmac but things can get very "interesting" on mud, wet leaves etc

OP
OP
P

Paddygt

Thanks again for your comments. I have found most bike tyres 'interesting' on wet leaves lol

Will pump them up to 75 and give them a quick try out tomorrow. Will certainly let you know how I get on.

PhatSi

I will be watching this thread with interest as I have been thinking about putting the exact same tyres on my mtb.

mark1974

i have them sort of tyres on specialized crosstrail and they slide very easily on mud and leafs
i try to stay a little bit further out on egde of country lanes with no kerbs
however on cycle/tow paths along canals havent really had any probs

Top Bottom