Headphones or speakers?

Do you prefer listening to music with headphones or through your hifi?

• Headphones

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Hifi

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Depends if the neighbours are in or not. They have advised me in the strongest possible terms that they do not like Deep Purple.

Playing with the band now I use IEMs, I can hear so much better and they exclude so much unnecessary noise that would otherwise leave me with transitory tinnitus.

You said tinnitus!

That's all I'll hear for the rest of the day, now.

I did it to myself in my 20s.:sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Both.

I prefer the sound of my speakers but so many TV shows these days have a lot of quiet mumbly dialogue which i can only properly hear through headphones (the alternative is having the speakers way too loud or subtitles on). I suppose they call it atmosphere but in reality, it's just poor sound design.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I prefer the hi-fi but I have neighbours so if she and the kids are in, headphones. It’s not fair on her next door when she’s trying to get the kids abed. However, her rap music gets on my pips, the manners don’t seem to go both ways.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Since the q asked my preference, it's definitely hifi. But the truth is I have not listened to the hifi for years, perhaps a handful of times and I always end up listening on the headphones.

Why not listen to hfi? It's a long story.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I prefer listening through speakers cranked up loud which makes listening a much more visceral experience but I also love to listen on my headphones nowadays for the details lead experience.

Also when pretending to be DJ I don't bother to plug the controller it into the amp as repeatedly re-running sections isn't fun for anyone else to be listening too.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Headphones

Far more appropriate when living in a small open-plan semi-d. And far more convenient useful for use elsewhere - train, cafe, office, etc

Planing to buy a bigger house next year, will consider spkrs there, maybe.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have a £stupid system. I listen to it very little, and most music (Choral Evensong at the moment, thanks :smile: ) I play from my Mac via Harman Kardon Soundsticks and subwoombler. It's not the last word, but it is very very good indeed, particularly in terms of stereo imaging. Remarkably so.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
How about getting some open backed headphones? I use the headphones more often unless the neighbours are out.

presta

Guru
I don't like headphones, I never have. I don't much like the feel of them on my head (particularly the big old 1970s ones), and I don't like they way they seem to exaggerate the dynamic range. If I adjust the volume for the quiet bits, the loud bits leave my ears feeling like the pressure changes in an aircraft cabin.

I recently bought a pillow speaker, and I'm not sure about that either. It's difficult to use because the pressure from the pillow tends to close the flap of skin over my earhole, so that the tinyest movement of my head or jaw opens and closes it, and the volume switches between too loud and too quiet.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't like headphones, I never have. I don't much like the feel of them on my head (particularly the big old 1970s ones), and I don't like they way they seem to exaggerate the dynamic range. If I adjust the volume for the quiet bits, the loud bits leave my ears feeling like the pressure changes in an aircraft cabin.

I recently bought a pillow speaker, and I'm not sure about that either. It's difficult to use because the pressure from the pillow tends to close the flap of skin over my earhole, so that the tinyest movement of my head or jaw opens and closes it, and the volume switches between too loud and too quiet.

I do use headphones, mainly for curating Spotify playlists whilst Mrs SD is doing something that precludes the use of the main system.

However, I don't like the artificial sound of some headphones I have tried so last time I purchased some that have a 'flat' studio sound - much better.

As an aside that's how I prefer my Amplifiers ie no bass & treble etc controls.

Top Bottom