Headphones or speakers?

Do you prefer listening to music with headphones or through your hifi?

• Headphones

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Hifi

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just listening to Mark Knopfler, through my main hifi system in the lounge. I wanted it loud so cranked it up a bit. I considered putting my (cheapish) headphones on but realised I much prefer "open" music to listening via headphones.

Maybe it's because the acoustics of the room etc add to the overall sound. But wondered how the CC members mostly enjoy their fav tracks?

Or maybe if I spent as much on headphones as I did my hifi setup it would be different?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm a hifi typa guy.
Headphones for outdoors, on the go music.
I just like the acoustics better through the hifi.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As I live in a flat and the walls are paper thin head phones are the only way for me. :sad:

Yeah I get that. I'm semi-detached but have respect for my neighbours. Headphones are very direct and in your face (or ears)… I could quite happily survive with just headphones but speakers just seem more of a performance rather than direct pumping into the ears

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I half-destroyed my hearing with stupidly loud music when I was young. I am trying to preserve what I have left so I don't play music anywhere near as loud these days. That means I can get away with using my big speakers during the day, and until a reasonable time in the evening, 21:00, say. (I live in a terraced house so I have direct neighbours to consider.) After that time I usually switch to headphones for music or TV unless I have guests.

tyred

Legendary Member
Speakers for me, although I don't listen to it too loud. I don't have any fancy equipment, just a basic Panasonic. I live in a flat so don't want to annoy the neighbours, nor do I want to knacker my hearing.

Mine is a new build block of four apartments. When I moved in here, the flat next door was still unfinished and the workmen usually left it unlocked. I decided to experiment one night and put on a CD and went next door to see if I could hear it, then turned it up a bit louder and then checked again, and repeat. I found I could get away with it much louder than I would ever listen to it before it became noticeable next door so I don't think I annoy anyone.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends if the neighbours are in or not. They have advised me in the strongest possible terms that they do not like Deep Purple.

Playing with the band now I use IEMs, I can hear so much better and they exclude so much unnecessary noise that would otherwise leave me with transitory tinnitus.

tyred

Legendary Member
Depends if the neighbours are in or not. They have advised me in the strongest possible terms that they do not like Deep Purple.

Playing with the band now I use IEMs, I can hear so much better and they exclude so much unnecessary noise that would otherwise leave me with transitory tinnitus.

Is this really you?

I think you need new neighbours if yours don't like Deep Purple. Clearly uncultured people.

Buck

Guru
Good quality speakers fill a room with sound and if you get the set up right, the separation and depth of music is immense.

headphones/in ear these days are excellent but cant quite replicate that full sound you get through speakers. Having said that i do use my earphones for travelling or if Mrs Buck is watching something on TV that I’m not interested in - thats less audiophile and more convenience though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just listening to Mark Knopfler, through my main hifi system in the lounge. I wanted it loud so cranked it up a bit. I considered putting my (cheapish) headphones on but realised I much prefer "open" music to listening via headphones.

Maybe it's because the acoustics of the room etc add to the overall sound. But wondered how the CC members mostly enjoy their fav tracks?

Or maybe if I spent as much on headphones as I did my hifi setup it would be different?

We just crank up the main system - one advantage of a detatched property.

Headphones make my head feel full/fuzzy after a while.

Top Bottom