Headphones while cycling. Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always have my headphones in while cycling, listening to music as I go along. However a guy at work was saying that this is a really bad idea as it is really dangerous. As a very inexperienced newbie, is this right? Is it best to ride without the apparent distraction or does it not matter as long as you pay attention to the road (including regular looks behind you)?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
moved to headphone debates

Pauluk

Are you able to hear car engines behind you and can you hear when people call out or use a bell? If you can't then you may want to leave them off. Also, do you get "lost" in your music, is it a distraction?

It may also be worth bearing in mind that if you are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle their insurance companies would probably not pay you any compensation.

Personally I don't think they should be used but that's just me.

Bryan_Cymru

Regular
Hi, I'm a Noob & I don't jack in while on my bike & that's nigh on the only time that I'm not plugged in.
I don't believe that experience comes into the equation. Its more than common sense than anything.
Seeing & hearing are the two main tools that a cyclist has at their disposal to stay alert & save. Jacking yourself in removes one of the two main senses. It coold be seen as either on par or worse than those who look down to text while in their car.
But then again, that's just me.

Be safe.

Didn't realise there was a full section on the subject. Have I just heard a can of worms opening (in the background of my headphones)?

I normally only have them on low so it is more background noise than getting lost in the music.

Sullie

Nay for me

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It is personal choice, like wearing a helmet. I don't use headphones while riding although I have in the past.
The most important thing in my opinion is to be aware of what is going on around you, by far the best way of doing this is by checking over your shoulder to see what is coming. If you are not comfortable doing this invest in a mirror.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Personally, not when I'm commuting through London but I have on a ride up the Thames river path to Dartford. In a nutshell - never on the road in traffic.

varies, sometimes I do, most of the time I don't. But will only ever listen to it with 1 ear phone in (in the UK, I listen to music with the left ear, leaving the right ear to hear the road & traffic). I don't have it loud either, just enough to hear the music, not enough to drown out the road. One of those personal things like helmets - if you drive, do you listen to music? Well yes I do, but not loud enough to drown out car horns/sirens etc - same with the bike... play it sensibly, literally.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Headphones vary.

Some admit ambient noise through open backs. Others seal the ear canal and use electronics to suppress external sound. And there are stages between those extremes.

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom