Heads up - BBC4 tonight, 2100hrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A documentary about the making of Steve McQueen's Le Mans, then another documentary about the Hunt v Lauda rivalry that came to a head in '76. A good evenings viewing for those of a motoring bent.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I recall going to a presentation evening hosted by Derek Bell, who described how the cameramen would lay on the track at Le Man for him to drive close by at near racing speeds to get action shots !

Saw the Hunt v Lauda' documentary a few weeks ago, when it was on
Very good indeed!!

Probably the last time I really watch F1, as I really can't be bothered with it, just seems so 'procession-al'

Now, the WRC boys are in a different league, with the surface changing after every car:notworthy:

Oh, & the feature film, Rush, is quite good watching, but it may not entirely be a family film, with Hunts womanising (even a Nurse, when sent to Hospital after a crash)
Chris Hemsworth is surprisingly good as Hunt

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNbGH1oZJc

Last edited:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Even for someone who has no idea about cars (e.g. me) the Hunt vs Lauda documentary and films were very interesting. Recorded the Steve McQueen one and I'm looking forward to that too.

D

Deleted member 26715

ROFL just went to the box to record both of these 2 only to find they are not one tonight WTF? then looked at the original date :laugh:, oh well have to see if I can remember to try iplayer later

Rush was brilliant!

But it does take a few minor liberties with "facts", so I'd recommend you watch the documentary AFTERWARDS, not before!

(I REALLY don't care about minor tweaks/errors in an entertainment piece, but I didn't really like how they invented the hatred between the 2 drivers. They were just hard rivals, with some occasional sledging. )

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
They were apparently very good friends, Lauda in awe of Hunt's good looks and easy charm, and Hunt respectful of Lauda's drive and intelligence. It is a good film though.

Top Bottom