Headset ball race on old bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamNR17

Hi All,

I'm preparing this frame for blasting and painting next week. Can someone tell me if the ball races arrowed in the picture actually come off at all?

james7.jpg

Huge thanks,
Graham

Arch

Married to Night Train
They will, but the process may be sacrificial (I think), and you'll maybe need a new headset, and to find someone with a headset press to put it in - a bike shop may well be able to do it. Best to check you can get a nice silver one to replace it - mine on the Galaxy is black and it's not quite as nice as silver would have been.

I think to get them out (but I'd prefer to have confirmation on this) you need to put a long screwdriver or similar down the headtube, rest it on the lip of the headset bearing inside the tube, and hammer it, working round the circumference.

There may be a less brutal way, that's the only one I've seen done.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
put a long screwdriver or similar down the headtube, rest it on the lip of the headset bearing inside the tube, and hammer it, working round the circumference.

described it perfectly:biggrin:

you can fit the new one yourself, using a peice of wood between new parts and the hammer, making sure it goes in square. of course, your LBS can do it

Arch

Married to Night Train
hubgearfreak said:
described it perfectly:biggrin:

you can fit the new one yourself, using a peice of wood between new parts and the hammer, making sure it goes in square. of course, your LBS can do it

Oh good - it's something I've watched someone do, but never done myself, so I wasn't sure I was right.

I gather having a new one inserted with a proper press is less likely to lead to accidental damage...

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

All now sorted :eek: AND finally got the right side bottom bracket cup off (after two weeks trying, I had a tool made)

But I've now missed the window of opportunity to get the frame in for blast/paint. I'll take it in the new year. I can wait... :stop:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
I gather having a new one inserted with a proper press is less likely to lead to accidental damage...

you'd have to be real ham-fisted to wreck some thick steel with bits of softwood. still, it may just be possible;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
hubgearfreak said:
you'd have to be real ham-fisted to wreck some thick steel with bits of softwood. still, it may just be possible;)

Anything is possible, if you're trying hard enough for it not to happen...:eek:

I was thinking more that it's tricky to get the thing to go in evenly when you're working round it.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Arch said:
I was thinking more that it's tricky to get the thing to go in evenly when you're working round it.

no, tap gently until you're sure it's going in right. when you're sure it is, bang it in hard.

as the actress etc.:eek:

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

hubgearfreak said:
no, tap gently until you're sure it's going in right. when you're sure it is, bang it in hard.

as the actress etc.:rolleyes:
;)

I've aleady planned that bit... foot length of a big chunky threaded bar, one of those square steel washer plates at each end under a huge nut and a long spanner, turn it down slowly and evenly.

And if that don't work, hit the bugger with a brick :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamNR17 said:
And if that don't work, hit the bugger with a brick :cheers:

As the bishop... etc....

Is there a sentence in the world that can't be rendered filthy by the addition of that phrase?:cheers:

porteous

Veteran
Copper pipe

I use a piece of 22mm copper pipe against the inner lip of the bearing cup, works a treat. When you welly the pipe any damage is on the pipe not the work piece.

I use a block of hardwood between the cup and hammer when getting them back in.

The fork cup can be a bugger, I use a screwdriver and hammer to split them, but I'm sure your LBS should have a proper tool and 5 mins to spare!

Top Bottom