Headset bearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Just in the process of a full strip/rebuild of a BMX for my lad and the headset bearing is confusing me. I was expecting either sealed bearings or loose. I don't want to knock the cups out if I don't have to but having had a poke around the bearings seem to be part of the cups with nothing obvious to remove them.

Has anyone come across these before?

20221206_125544.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cram some grease in there and leave them be.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
spray grease maybe? light enough to go in and will last a bit and better than nowt .You could always blast the old stuff out with wd 40/ gt 85 .

Had thought about this but wouldn't it mean the new grease would be watered down by the GT85 reminants? Might be worth a shot.

I was hoping someone was going to point out something obvious to get them out but it's looking like I will have to knock the cups out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have in the pasty just put spray grease in without blasting the old out and it worked , obviously not as good as a proper job but kept it going

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Use degreaser, then blast everything out with a pressure washer, re-grease.

I've done enough damage with de-greaser this week. Accidentally washed the freewheel dry when cleaning it. Sounded like a gritty mess after.

Lesson learned.

New freewheel going on later.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I have in the pasty just put spray grease in without blasting the old out and it worked , obviously not as good as a proper job but kept it going

I think the only spray I have currently is copper grease.

All the other stuff is tubed.

iluvmybike

Über Member
There is usually a recessed wire c ring you can prise out with a small screwdriver then you can clean everything out and re-grease and refit

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
There is usually a recessed wire c ring you can prise out with a small screwdriver then you can clean everything out and re-grease and refit

Thanks.

I'll have a look at this tomorrow night when I have a minute.

Fingers crossed

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You sure you can’t prize that bearing out? It’s looks like a neglected sealed bearing that’s dried out and casing split. Otherwise try lbs. I had a seized headset bearing last winter after riding through a slightly too deep flood. Bike shop managed to get it out and sell me a replacement for the princely sum of £10.

Top Bottom